Danica who? Women already winning NHRA races

7 Comments

While much focus and ink has been drawn to Danica Patrick’s pole position and eighth place finish in this year’s Daytona 500, on the other coast two women have already opened the year in Victory Lane in the NHRA.

In her second season, John Force’s daughter Courtney (right) led off the year with a win in the Funny Car division in Pomona, Calif. The win was Force’s second, after her first win in her 15th career start last year at Seattle. Courtney’s 24 and her 26-year-old sister, Brittany, is a rookie in the Top Fuel dragster category this year.

Always outspoken, John Force told AZCentral.com leading up to last weekend’s race in Phoenix that the Danica discussion is overdone.

“I get that Danica got the pole is a big deal, but it is not like she delivered the baby Jesus,” he said.

While the Force daughters progress in their years, Pro Stock also has a female winner so far in Erica Enders-Stevens. Her breakthrough season came a year ago with four wins and a career-best fourth place finish in the final points standings. She won her class at Phoenix last weekend.

“Coming off the season we had last year and starting the way that we did this year, it was kind of a gut check in that we wonder if we can ever get it done again,” Enders-Stevens said. “ But our guys proved that they can pick up where they left off, and I’m excited.”

In the NHRA, success for female drivers is nothing new. Shirley Muldowney paved the way with a legendary career that included three Top Fuel championships (1977, 1980, 1982). Angelle Sampey has also won NHRA titles in the Pro Stock Motorcycle category. Melanie Troxel is one of only 14 NHRA drivers to have won in both Top Fuel and Funny Car.

The two Force daughters follow in the footsteps of their older sister Ashley Force Hood, who was a race winner in Funny Car and has since stepped out of the cockpit to focus on motherhood.

The NHRA races next in Gainesville, Florida from March 14-17.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”