Final pre-season test: Team-by-team guide

Leave a comment

As the Formula One teams reassemble in Barcelona in time for the final four days of pre-season testing, here’s a view on each of the teams so far.

Red Bull

Red Bull have taken their usual secrecy to new heights: media were forbidden from photographing the RB9 at its launch and the team have hidden it behind screens during testing runs.


The F138 is clearly a better starting point than last year’s F2012. But team principal Stefano Domenciali doesn’t expect Ferrari to start on top despite some encouraging times.


The MP4-28 looks quick out-of-the-box but Jenson Button says the team are behind with their testing programme. They had some reliability problems in Jerez and some of their planned tests took longer than expected.


Technical problems including a gearbox problem and a telemetry glitch has limited their running but the car looks reasonably quick.


While Nico Rosberg has hailed the team’s progress it’s telling that Lewis Hamilton, who drove last year’s quickest car, has been more restrained in his praise.


The C32 has covered more mileage in testing than any other car: Sauber have completed over 2,100 miles and rookie Esteban Gutierrez has 416 laps on the board.

Force India

Remarkably the team which almost won the last race of 2012 still hasn’t finalised its driver line-up for this year. Adrian Sutil and Jules Bianchi are in the frame.


The only team not to bring their new car to the first test. Both drivers were very positive after their first taste of the FW35.

Toro Rosso

The drivers are encouraged by the STR8, which offers more versatile set-up options than its troublesome predecessor. It’s run well, too.


The CT03 bears a close resemblance to its predecessor and so far does not look likely to trouble the midfield.


New driver Max Chilton did all the running in Barcelona last week, raising questions over team mate Luiz Razia’s place at the squad. All Marussia have said so far about their plans for this week is that Chilton will drive on day one.

For more on testing so far see Will Buxton’s view from the track.

Keith Collantine is the editor of Formula One blog F1 Fanatic. Follow F1 Fanatic on Twitter.

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski