McLaren stung as Lowe follows Hamilton to Mercedes

1 Comment

Mercedes’s appetite for signing up staff from rival teams seems not to have been satisfied yet.

In the past two years the Silver Arrows have hired Aldo Costa (ex-Ferrari), Geoff Willis (HRT and previously Honda), Bob Bell (Renault) and Toto Wolff (Williams).

Their top-heavy management structure also includes Niki Lauda who was hired last September. And it is set to be further bolstered by the anticipated arrival of Paddy Lowe from McLaren.

McLaren confirmed on Monday that Lowe will leave them at the end of the year. The move that looked likely following his absence from the launch of the team’s 2013 F1 contender, the MP4-28.

Lowe is widely expected to follow ex-McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton to the Brackley-based team. Mercedes’ vision is fixed firmly on preparing for next year’s new regulations.

The move raises three questions. First, does this confirm that Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn is being moved out of the picture? Mercedes have already jettisoned long-serving vice-president Norbert Haug during the off-season after scoring just one win in the last three years.

Second, what are the consequences for McLaren? In six months they’ve lost their protege and one of their top designers to Mercedes.

Having once been Mercedes’ only Formula One team their status has been diminished to the role of engine customer. Martin Whitmarsh must rue the assistance he gave Brawn in landing a supply of Mercedes engines when Honda quit the sport at the end of 2008.

And third, who will McLaren hire to replace their lost technical director? Suspicion has already fallen on Lotus technical director James Allison, though earlier this month he said he has a “long contract” with the team and “intends to honour” it.

According to McLaren, a “telephone number salary” was used to lure Lowe away. Are they prepared to do the same to replace him?

Keith Collantine is the editor of Formula One blog F1 Fanatic. Follow F1 Fanatic on Twitter.

Ricciardo set to see Dale Jr.’s final Texas ride in two weeks (VIDEO)

Getty Images
Leave a comment

We’ve written before about Daniel Ricciardo’s love of Dale Earnhardt and his love of the No. 3, which Ricciardo has selected as his permanent number for the duration of his Formula 1 career. And additionally, Dale Earnhardt Jr. has offered up the opportunity that one day Ricciardo could race a JR Motorsports car in NASCAR Xfinity Series competition, and Ricciardo has said he’d be up for it.

And although Earnhardt Jr. has only used the No. 3 on a handful of occasions in his career in the NASCAR Xfinity Series, Ricciardo knows how much the number means to the NASCAR veteran as he prepares for his final few starts in the Cup Series the tail-end of this year.

After the Mexican Grand Prix next week, Ricciardo is set to stay in North America for the off-week between the Mexican and Brazilian Grands Prix.

In that break, he said he’ll see Earnhardt Jr. in person at the Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway (Sunday, Nov. 5, 2 p.m. ET, NBCSN) to ensure he gets to see him before he retires from full-time competition.

Ricciardo explained his planning during Thursday’s pre-race edition of the NBC Sports Group original digital series Paddock Pass, speaking to NBCSN’s Will Buxton at the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of The Americas in Austin.

“Well I’ll see him for the first time in Dallas. I’m gonna go to the NASCAR race in two weeks time at Texas Motor Speedway,” Ricciardo told NBCSN.

“Yeah, so, I gotta see him race before he hangs up the helmet.

“The Earnhardt family is a huge name in motorsport, not only in America but all over the world. Yeah I wish him well.”

Ricciardo is also optimistic he’ll get the chance to do a helmet swap with Earnhardt Jr. at the event.

“Hopefully I get to see him perform well in Texas. I’m gonna try to do a helmet swap with him. We’ll see how we go.”

Stay tuned for more on this over the coming weeks.