UPDATE: Hamlin fined $25,000 for disparaging comments

5 Comments

Denny Hamlin made headlines at the end of last week’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway for a bold, three-wide move through the apron on the last lap. Jimmie Johnson edged him for second place at the line.

What he said after the race, though, has now cost him $25,000. Hamlin was fined Thursday for disparaging remarks about the racing quality with NASCAR’s new Generation 6 car.

Hamlin said he “didn’t want to be a pessimist, but it did not race as good as our generation five cars. This is more like what the generation five was at the beginning.”

NASCAR said Thursday they would not tolerate such remarks as they were considered actions detrimental to stock car racing.

There had been a period of secret fines issues to drivers in the past, but public fines occurred last year in several instances. Brad Keselowski was fined $25,000 last year after the November race at Phoenix for having his cellphone in his car and tweeting during the red flag caused when Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer had contact.

Keselowski’s in-race tweet at the 2012 Daytona 500 didn’t incur a penalty, and served as the springboard to his social media stardom throughout last season.

UPDATE, 3:15 pm ET: USA Today Sports NASCAR reporter Jeff Gluck tweeted late Thursday Hamlin will not pay the fine, and vows to not say anything about competition for the rest of the year. “Ask about his daughter and wins,” was the line Gluck used from Hamlin.

UPDATE 2, 10:30 pm ET: Hamlin released a statement on his own via Twitter. It starts, “The short of the long of it is I believe I was severely disrespected by NASCAR by getting fined.”

Formula One: Recapping the past week’s news

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

While the FIA Formula 1 World Championship is still two months away from beginning its 2018 season, this past week did bring about news items that filled out the 2018 grid and shed some light on individual team and car launches as the season-opening Australian Grand Prix draws closer.

Below is a recap of F1 news from this past week:

Williams Signs Sirotkin for 2018 Drive, Names Kubica as Reserve Driver

The saga of the second seat at Williams Martini Racing was finally resolved early on in the week, with former Renault Sport F1 Team test driver Sergey Sirotkin officially confirmed as a teammate to the incumbent Lance Stroll in 2018.

The announcement concluded months of speculation that saw multiple drivers test for the team in an auditioning capacity. Most notably, Robert Kubica looked to be a main contender for the seat before Sirotkin emerged as the favorite.

However, Kubica, who has not raced in Formula 1 since a devastating rally accident in 2011 left him with brutal injuries to his right arm, was named as a reserve and development driver for the team.

This announcement also completes the 2018 Formula 1 driver lineup, with all 11 teams having their seats now filled. Among those who were left without F1 drives are Paul Di Resta, who drove for Williams at the Hungarian Grand Prix in relief of Felipe Massa and even tested with them during the Winter months, and Antonio Giovinazzi, who filled in for Pascal Wehrlein at the Australian and Chinese Grands Prix.

Former Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat is also without a race seat for 2018, but did sign on with Scuderia Ferrari as a development driver.

Mercedes, McLaren Reveal Dates for Their 2018 Car Launches

While most teams have not yet released dates for when their 2018 cars will be publicly launched, three notables have.

Mercedes AMG Petronas will introduce its 2018 challenger on February 22nd, the same day Ferrari is doing so, while McLaren will unveil its car one day later on the 23rd.

Testing will commence on February 26th at Circuit de Catalunya.

Follow@KyleMLavigne