Allmendinger IndyCar return with Penske is official

Leave a comment

AJ Allmendinger’s return to the IZOD IndyCar Series with Team Penske has been confirmed Friday. The 31-year-old native of Los Gatos, Calif. will contest at least two races, at Barber Motorsports Park on April 7, and the Indianapolis 500 on May 26, in the No. 2 IZOD Dallara-Chevrolet.

Rumors had swirled for the better part of a month, since Allmendinger tested for Team Penske at Sebring International Raceway on Feb. 19, that a return to IndyCar was brewing. Allmendinger last raced in open-wheel competition in 2006, winning five times in the Champ Car series.

Allmendinger then departed for NASCAR with Red Bull support prior to 2007. He worked to get his opportunity with Penske Racing before 2012, replacing Kurt Busch in the No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge (right), before failing a random drug test at Daytona International Speedway in July. Roger Penske released him from his NASCAR contract but remained in contact with Allmendinger for the rest of the year.

“It is exciting to welcome AJ back to Penske Racing,” Penske said. “He obviously went through a tough time last year but he has done everything he needed to in order to get back to racing at the top level of the sport. We have always believed in AJ and his ability and he deserves this opportunity. We think he will be a strong competitor this season in the IZOD IndyCar Series for Team Penske and we look forward to racing with him in the IZOD car at Barber and at the Indianapolis 500.”

Allmendinger will test at next week’s IndyCar official open test in Barber.

“I’m really looking forward to getting back to my roots and racing in the IZOD IndyCar Series,” said Allmendinger. “I have to thank Roger (Penske), Tim (Cindric) and everyone at Team Penske for this opportunity. I think it’s every driver’s dream to race for Team Penske at the Indy 500 and that experience is going to be incredible. I also have to thank IZOD for their support and for giving me a chance to show what I can do. I definitely intend to make the most of it.”

Further IndyCar races are possible for Allmendinger. Sponsor IZOD, which first entered IndyCar supporting Ryan Hunter-Reay, shifted to Team Penske ahead of the 2011 season with Ryan Briscoe. Briscoe, who won the pole for the 2012 Indianapolis 500 in an IZOD-sponsored car, does not have a full-time ride in IndyCar this year.

Williams to wait until new year before making 2018 F1 driver decision

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Williams will wait until the new year before making an announcement regarding its Formula 1 driver line-up for the 2018 season.

Williams holds the final vacant seat in F1 for next year, with Felipe Massa retiring at the last race of the 2017 season in Abu Dhabi at the end of November.

The Brazilian’s departure has opened up a seat alongside Lance Stroll for 2018, which looked poised to be taken by Robert Kubica, over seven years after he last raced in F1 before injuries sustained in a rally accident appeared to cut his career short.

Doubts emerged about Kubica’s comeback following a test with Williams in its 2017-spec car in Abu Dhabi after the final race of the season, leading to Russian youngster Sergey Sirotkin becoming the favorite.

Besides Kubica and Sirotkin, ditched Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat is also an option, but Williams has now confirmed it will make no decision on its line-up until the new year.

Sirotkin first entered the frame in F1 in 2013 when he became a development driver at Sauber, with Russian backers SMP Racing pushing to get him a race seat for the following year.

Sirotkin missed out on a full-time role at the team, leading him to focus on racing in Formula Renault 3.5 for 2014 before spending two years in GP2, where he finished third in the standings in both seasons.

Renault struck an agreement to sign Sirotkin in a junior role in 2016, leading to a number of practice run-outs over the last two seasons, but he was passed over for a 2018 race seat when it signed Carlos Sainz Jr.

Williams emerged as an option for Sirotkin following a successful maiden test with the team in Abu Dhabi alongside Kubica, with talks now set to continue over the holiday period.

Sirotkin has not taken on a full-time race program this year, making just a single competitive appearance in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with SMP Racing in the LMP2 class.

Sirotkin has also been involved in the development of the team’s BR Engineering-designed LMP1 car for the 2018 FIA World Endurance Championship season, and is likely to secure a seat should he miss out on the role at Williams.