NASCAR Nationwide Series points leader Sam Hornish Jr. survived two late restarts and pulled away from Kyle Busch to claim today’s Sam’s Town 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway – his first NNS victory since November of 2011.
Hornish had a solid gap on Busch before a Turn 2 spin for Scott Lagasse Jr. brought out the caution flag with 18 laps remaining. The subsequent restart with 13 laps left was short-lived, as Kyle Larson and Joey Gase wrecked coming out of Turn 2 to put the race under yellow again.
With six laps left, the green flag flew once more and after a brief battle, Hornish got by Busch on the outside for what would be the winning pass. The 2006 Indianapolis 500 champion led 114 laps en route to his second career Nationwide win.
“I just enjoyed having a car that was this good,” Hornish said to ESPN in Victory Lane. “The way the car was handling was just perfect, and I could take my time.
“Dreams are made of how cars [run like that]. Kyle put up a heck of a fight and raced me clean, so it was a real fun race.”
NASCAR Nationwide Series – Sam’s Town 300
Top 10 Finishers
1. Sam Hornish Jr., led 114 laps.
2. Kyle Busch, led 13 laps.
3. Brian Vickers, led 27 laps.
4. Trevor Bayne, led 21 laps.
5. Elliott Sadler
6. Austin Dillon, led one lap.
7. Regan Smith, led four laps.
8. Alex Bowman
9. Brian Scott
10. Travis Pastrana
In this video produced by the Road Racing Drivers Club SAFEisFAST initiative, we take a look behind the scenes at the Verizon IndyCar Series’ unsung heroes: the Holmatro Safety Team.
You’ve heard about their heroic efforts over the years, particularly with saving James Hinchcliffe’s life last year in Indianapolis.
But how do they do what they do? This video explains it.
The partnership between Red Bull Racing and Aston Martin will continue into 2017, Red Bull confirmed on Tuesday.
Branding on the Red Bull Formula 1 chassis will continue, while bigger news has come in terms of the AM-RB 001 hypercar.
Red Bull and Aston Martin announced that all 150 road-going cars of the 175 cars built (the other 25 are track-only specials) have been sold and customer deliveries will begin in early 2019.
An AM-RB 001 prototype is expected to run for the first time by the end of this season.
“We first conceived our Innovation Partnership with Aston Martin in the realization that it could be truly pioneering,” said Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing team principal.
“In blending our distinct but unique skills under a shared creative vision, we have already seen tangible development to both of our brands and businesses. The extraordinary success of the AM RB-001 is testament to the expert and collaborative spirit in which it was forged, and extending our relationship with Aston Martin through 2017 was a simple and pleasing decision.”
Aston Martin President and CEO Andy Palmer added, “By bringing together the talents of Red Bull Racing and Aston Martin, AM-RB 001 is destined to become the defining hypercar of this decade and a hugely desirable investment for collectors and enthusiasts.
“Our relationship with Red Bull Racing has done for Aston Martin exactly what we expected it to do,” he continued. “It is helping us to continue to build our brand across the globe. Partnerships like this are good for business both in terms of technical innovation and brand awareness, so we are pleased to continue into 2017.”
The FIA World Endurance Championship Prologue has shifted dates, moving from its originally scheduled March 24-25 date to April 1-2 still at Autodromo di Nazionale, Monza.
The reasoning is that His Holiness Pope Francis will be making an official visit to Monza on those dates. Naturally, organizational, security and logistical preferences will follow for that.
The European Le Mans Series continues as planned on March 28 and 29 with its preseason test.
For fans of clashes, two more have been created on account of this date shift. The FIA Formula E Championship race at Mexico and Blancpain GT Series season opener at Misano fall on the same weekend as the Prologue.
The full revised calendar (for the moment, and for the last time, we hope) is below.
Toto Wolff has responded to speculation about Fernando Alonso moving to Mercedes for the 2017 Formula 1 season by saying that officials at the team “have to consider” the Spaniard.
Just five days after winning his maiden F1 title with Mercedes in Abu Dhabi, Nico Rosberg shocked the motorsport world by announcing his immediate retirement from racing.
The news has left Mercedes in need of a driver for 2017, but after boasting the best car on the grid for the past three years, the seat is highly coveted.
Alonso has one year to run on his McLaren contract, but has been linked with the drive for 2017 as he looks to win his first World Championship since 2006.
Speaking to British broadcaster Sky Sports, Mercedes executive chairman Wolff said that Alonso had to be considered as a candidate for the seat, but acknowledged that the two-time champion remains under contract.
“You have to consider Fernando,” Wolff said.
“He’s a driver that I respect a lot, and combines the talent, speed, experience – it’s all there.
“But he’s in a contract with McLaren-Honda at the moment. We just need to weigh all the other options up.”
Whoever Mercedes opts to sign for 2017 will partner Lewis Hamilton, who said last week that he would not insist on having number one status at the team.
Wolff said that Mercedes would continue to operate with its equal chances philosophy between its drivers in 2017, regardless of who was signed.
“We will maintain the system like we had,” Wolff said.
“We will always have equal status for all drivers, give them equal opportunity to the best of our ability. I say that, meaning Abu Dhabi…
“I think we owe it to the fans and owe it to ourselves that you can’t have a pecking order straight from the beginning. It’s not what we’d like to see happening.”