Hamilton supports decision to postpone qualifying

Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton supports the stewards’ decision to postpone qualifying until Sunday morning following the adverse weather conditions in Melbourne.

Rain began to fall during final practice at Albert Park, and the wet weather persisted until qualifying. Q1 was delayed by half an hour until the stewards gave it the go-ahead, and the conditions proved difficult for the drivers.

Hamilton struggled for grip on his out lap, and a few minutes later he spun at turn one forcing him to reverse his car back on to the track. Although he did manage to get into Q2, the 2008 world champion found the conditions difficult.

“It was definitely the right decision,” he told Sky Sports News. “It was dangerous out there.

The decision was taken by the stewards to run Q2 and Q3 on Sunday morning.

In a separate interview, Hamilton said “it’s incredibly tricky, probably one of the slipperiest circuits that I’ve raced on in the rain, simply because there’s a lot of white lines everywhere that are painted black. So as soon as you hit those the car slides and aquaplanes and oversteers so that’s why you saw so many people going off.”

He also suggested that Mercedes was struggling for pace despite Nico Rosberg finishing quickest in the wet first qualifying session.

“It’s not been a great weekend for us so far, but hopefully we can turn it around tomorrow.”

Weather prompts INDYCAR to move up start time of today’s race in Alabama

IndyCar
Leave a comment

The scheduled starting time for today’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park has been moved up due to inclement weather in the Birmingham, Alabama area.

The command to start engines is now scheduled for 3:01 p.m. ET, rather than the previous scheduled start of 3:35 p.m. ET. The race, which is expected to take the green flag at 3:08 p.m. ET,  will be carried live on NBCSN.

In addition, the INDY LIGHTS race, previously scheduled to start at 1 p.m. ET, saw its starting time moved up to 11:45 a.m. ET.

According to several different weather forecasts, thunderstorms are predicted for the afternoon, with some forecasts calling for up to 100 percent chance of storms.

The rain is expected to continue into the evening and on into Monday.

INDYCAR officials are monitoring the very fluid situation and further schedule adjustments could be made.

We’ll keep readers up to date on further changes here on MotorSportsTalk.