IndyCar push-to-pass standardized for 2013

2 Comments

After it went through several different iterations last year, IndyCar’s “push-to-pass” overtake assist system will be standardized for 2013, starting this weekend at St. Petersburg.

The system itself allows for a turbocharger boost from 21.7 Psi to 23.2 Psi and additional 200 RPM with the push of a button located on the steering wheel.

Drivers will have 10 total pushes to use at their discretion on all road and street course venues this season. At St. Petersburg this weekend, along with Detroit, Sonoma, Baltimore and Houston, each push will last 15 seconds, for a total of 150 seconds available throughout the race.

The remaining road and street circuits (Barber, Long Beach, Sao Paulo, Toronto, Mid-Ohio) all have at least one longer straight than the other five, and as such have longer push-to-pass time available. Those races will still have 10 pushes but each will last 20 seconds, for a total of 200.

In the past, drivers could use it both in offensive or defensive mode; a leading driver might, for instance, use his or her system at the same time as someone behind them hits theirs. But according to IndyCar vp of technology Will Phillips, that’s not necessarily going to be the case this season.

“If the driver chooses to use one, they can’t cancel it. It’s use it or lose it,” he said. “That in itself makes it more difficult to choose to use as a defense mechanism rather than as an overtaking opportunity. You’ll have to be careful because there are only 10 opportunities to use it during a race. The length of each push of the button should cover the longest straight, if that’s where they choose to use it, of each circuit.”

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”