Honda runners struggle on Friday in St. Pete

Leave a comment

The big mystery after Friday’s two practice sessions at the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg was why the Honda runners were regularly and frequently off the pace.

Only Takuma Sato for A.J. Foyt Racing cracked the top five, while erstwhile dominant runners Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti failed to break into the top 15 for Target Chip Ganassi Racing. Tristan Vautier snuck into the top 10 toward the end of the session.

James Jakes, Simon Pagenaud, Charlie Kimball and Graham Rahal were 11th through 14th, with Justin Wilson 16th ahead of Franchitti in 17th, Dixon in 19th, Alex Tagliani 20th, Josef Newgarden 21st and Ana Beatriz 25th and last.

Power – who was either playing coy or admitting the Ganassi contingent has, in fact, lost a step over the winter – said this could be a situation where Honda hasn’t shown its full hand.

“I’m not sure about the Ganassi guys right now,” said Power. “They’re not fast… but really you don’t know until qualifying. We thought we were at good shape at Indy. Then in the race, they killed us. They may be sandbagging. We need to wait and see until qualifying.”

Power was referring to last year’s Indianapolis 500, when Chevrolet teams locked out eight of the nine top spots on the grid, but Honda runners had both improved pace and fuel mileage come the race on Sunday.

St. Petersburg and Indianapolis couldn’t be more polar of opposites in terms of circuits (1.8-mile street circuit, 2.5-mile oval), but the point still stands. Whether the Honda runners improve on Saturday is a major question going forward.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”