Mike Conway lands WEC sports car ride

Leave a comment

Former IZOD IndyCar Series full-timer Mike Conway has officially made the switch to sports car racing with his move to the FIA World Endurance Championship.

Conway will still contest the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing and may be up for more road/street course appearances in IndyCar later on in the campaign. But the bulk of his year will be run as part of G-Drive Racing with Delta-ADR in the WEC. He recently took part in WEC pre-season testing at France’s Paul Ricard circuit and will co-drive the team’s No. 26 Oreca 03 Nissan alongside John Martin and Roman Rusinov.

“Obviously the end of last year, I didn’t want to race ovals anymore so I knew I had to look elsewhere other than IndyCar,” he said to SPEED.com’s John Dagys, referring to his decision to no longer race on ovals after stepping out of A.J. Foyt Racing’s No. 14 Honda (pictured) before last year’s IndyCar season finale.

“I just kind of got talking and was looking around to see what was there. And sports cars looked like a good future for me. Le Mans is something I’ve always wanted to do.”

As for acclimating to an LMP2 class machine, Conway told Dagys that there are definite similiarities and differences from his former open-wheel ride.

“The downforce numbers are good so it handles similar to a single-seater,” he said. “But it’s a bit different too as you have to be a bit easier with the car, you can’t be as aggressive and expect it to turn as fast as you want.”

Racing world reacts to Danica Patrick’s Daytona, Indy double news

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Here’s a sampling of quotes and social media reaction to Danica Patrick’s news announced earlier Friday that this would be her last full-time season as a driver, and that she’ll race in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 only in 2018.

This ends a full-time stretch in the top flights of NASCAR and IndyCar. She was in NASCAR from 2012 through 2017, and IndyCar from 2005 through 2011.

Her’s her own post on Twitter and Instagram.

Well…. 2018 Daytona 500 and Indy 500 here I come. 🙌🏼

A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on

IMS President J. Douglas Boles

“We’re glad Danica plans to return to the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil next May,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “Her final career start will make what’s already shaping up to be a terrific Month of May even more interesting for our fans.

“It’s also fitting that Danica is wrapping up her career at the place and in the race where she became a household name and captured the world’s attention in 2005 – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. We’re looking forward to seeing her back in an Indy car next May alongside all of the tremendous drivers of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

NASCAR

INDYCAR