Rosberg moving on from team orders debacle


Nico Rosberg has moved on from the team orders debacle in Malaysia, claiming that it is “all sorted” with Mercedes.

Rosberg was told to remain behind his teammate, Lewis Hamilton, in the dying stages of the Malaysian Grand Prix despite being far quicker. Hamilton had dropped off the pace to save fuel, but team principal Ross Brawn told Rosberg to hold position thus handing Hamilton third place.

“We have discussed it and it is all sorted for the future which is important.

“The difficulty was that we hadn’t really discussed them before hand – that is the mistake that we made. So it is important going forward that everything is discussed and then whichever way it goes, if I’m in front and Lewis is behind and he respects that and vice-versa, then it is OK.”

Rosberg did protest over the radio, telling Brawn after the race that he would “remember this.” The German driver was more reflective in the FIA press conference though, saying that Mercedes would learn from the incident.

“As long as we are prepared for it and it is discussed well and understood then that is the important thing and that is a mistake we made as a team.”

Rosberg and Mercedes claimed their first win at last year’s Chinese Grand Prix, making this weekend extra special for all involved with the German team.

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski