Massa tops second practice in China

1 Comment
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Felipe Massa has clearly signaled his return to form by finishing quickest in Free Practice 2 for the Chinese Grand Prix on Friday.

The Brazilian driver set a quickest time of 1:35.340 to finish the session ahead of Kimi Raikkonen for Lotus, whilst Fernando Alonso underlined Ferrari’s pace by finishing third.

Nico Rosberg and Mark Webber, both of whom starred in Free Practice 1 earlier on, managed to finish fourth and fifth, but the Red Bull was over three-quarters of a second behind the leading Ferrari, which could be cause for concern. Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton followed, over one second behind Massa, whilst Sebastian Vettel could only finish P10.

FP2 saw teams focus on their long runs in the second half of the session, meaning that Massa’s time set after 41 minutes was not bettered. During the long runs, the Brazilian driver was again impressive, with his engineer Rob Smedley telling him “your pace is not good, it’s incredible.” Similarly, Rosberg and Hamilton showed good long run pace as did the Force India pairing of Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta.

Tire wear was high throughout the session, and many teams found the soft tire troublesome. Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button both locked up on more than one occasion, but things were even worse for Max Chilton who was forced to pull over towards the end of the session due to a car problem. Hamilton said that he “had never seen anything like it” [the tire wear], but Ferrari seemed to manage its Pirelli rubber well.

With varying results in both practice sessions, it is difficult to see a pecking order emerging. This does however mean we are in for a thrilling qualifying tomorrow, although FP3 could reveal some more details a few hours before hand.

You can find the complete classification from Free Practice 2 here.

Alonso would be ‘very happy’ to finish F1 career with McLaren

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Fernando Alonso says he would be “very happy” to see out his Formula 1 career with McLaren after signing a new multi-year contract with the British team, announced on Thursday.

Alonso, 36, ended speculation about his future by agreeing a new deal with McLaren, hopeful of returning to the front of the field next year when the team swaps Honda power for Renault engines.

Alonso admitted to considering options outside of F1 before agreeing to stay at McLaren, and was thought to only be chasing a one-year extension in order to be in a position to snap up a more attractive seat in the volatile 2019 market.

However, Alonso confirmed in an interview with the official F1 website that the deal with McLaren stretched beyond the end of next year, adding he would be content to see out his time in the sport with the team.

“I never talk about contracts, but one thing I can say is it is a long-term partnership,” Alonso said.

“I am very happy to finish my career at McLaren. So I don’t think it is going to be only one year.”

Alonso also revealed he had options with teams high up the field in F1 for 2018 just a couple of months ago, but was always leaning to staying at McLaren despite not scoring a podium with the team in almost three years.

“There were some other options in F1. In the summer there were still some options at the top teams, but my desire was to stay with McLaren,” Alonso said.

“But at that time they were in conversation with different engine suppliers, so I had to give them time to sort out their situation.

“Then McLaren opted for a Renault engine which delayed my decision, because I had to understand what Renault’s plans were for next years.

“But when I had everything on the table, everything was pretty clear.”