Penske Racing gets huge penalties from NASCAR after Texas

8 Comments

Penske Racing has been hit with massive penalties following the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series weekend at Texas Motor Speedway, where both cars faced a mad dash to even make the starting grid after a hold-up in technical inspection when parts were confiscated.

Drivers Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano have each been docked 25 driver points and their No. 2 and No. 22 teams, 25 owner points.

Meanwhile, their crew chiefs incurred an even greater hit. Crew chiefs Paul Wolfe (Keselowski) and Todd Gordon (Logano) have been suspended for the next six points races (also includes the non-points Sprint All-Star Race in Charlotte), fined $100,000 apiece and placed on probation until Dec. 31.

NASCAR said both cars had been found in violation of Sections 12-1; 12-4J and 20-12.

Those violations read in full: all suspension systems and components must be approved by NASCAR. Prior to being used in competition, all suspension systems and components must be submitted, in a completed form/assembly, to the office of the NASCAR Competition Administrator for consideration of approval and approved by NASCAR. Each such part may thereafter be used until NASCAR determines that such part is no longer eligible.

All suspension fasteners and mounting hardware must be made of solid magnetic steel. All front end and rear end suspension mounts with mounting hardware assembled must have single round mounting holes that are the correct size for the fastener being used. All front end and rear end suspension mounts and mounting hardware must not allow movement or realignment of any suspension component beyond normal rotation or suspension travel.

Additional penalties for Penske include the No. 2’s car chief, team manager and team engineer (Jerry Kelley, Travis Geisler, Brian Wilson) being suspended the next six points races and placed on probation until Dec. 31, and the same penalties issued to the No. 22 car chief (Raymond Fox) and team manager (Samuel Stanley).

In a team statement, Penske Racing said it will appeal the process, and has no further comment at this time.

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne