Heikki Kovalainen may be making his Formula One comeback at this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix in Friday practice, but the Finn is unlikely to make a full-time return to racing anytime soon.
“Of course I want to race,” he told Sky Sports. “Being here puts me in a better position if a race drive ever becomes available here, or even somewhere else.
“But right now I have no plans to race.”
After a disappointing start to the season, rumors had begun to circulate suggesting that Caterham could replace Charles Pic or Giedo van der Garde with Kovalainen, who raced for the team between 2010 and 2012. However, the one-time grand prix winner insists that he is not getting ahead of himself.
“I made it very clear that this is my position and if it leads to not having a race drive then that’s what it does. I’ve kept myself fit and kept in touch with people here. If something comes up, I’ll be ready to jump in.”
Kovalainen rejected racing in any series besides Formula One, despite the likes of Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi finding success in the FIA World Endurance Championship.
“In this part of my career, Formula 1 is what really interests me. I could still do a lot of good things here. I’ve left the door open here, kept looking and working at the same time to make sure that if something happens, I’m ready.”
It is hard to tell quite where Kovalainen stands with Caterham without knowing more about his financial backing. However, this free practice run-out suggests that he could be closing on a return to the sport, although it is unclear whether that will be with his old team or not.
Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.
Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.
“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”
Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”