Marco Andretti: “I need to be consistently better”

1 Comment

Marco Andretti has done good in the first two races of the IZOD IndyCar Series season, collecting a podium finish in the opener at St. Petersburg and a Top-10 finish in the most recent race at Barber Motorsports Park. But with Andretti Autosport teammates James Hinchcliffe and Ryan Hunter-Reay winning those events, the third-generation racer seems to figure that “good” is not good enough.

“I really worked on consistency in the off-season so it’s a decent start to that. But when I look at two of my teammates who have won the first two races, I need to be consistently better,” Andretti said to reporters at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. “I think if we keep knocking on the door like we have been…Like even last weekend, we had another good shot at another podium, but we lost a lot of time coming out behind another car. We’ve been driving good, so we have to keep doing that.”

Andretti will look to continue the momentum at Long Beach, where his grandfather Mario and father/team owner Michael notched a combined five victories during their driving careers. However, he himself has not had as much success at the Beach. His highest finish there so far is a sixth-place result from 2009, and his last two Beach starts each ended with a DNF.

But coming out of the gate strong this year has him feeling confident, and despite winding up 17th on the combined time sheets in Friday’s practice sessions, he believes he and his No. 25 team are on the right track.

“There is still a lot of speed out there for us to find, and I am feeling optimistic thinking about our potential heading into tomorrow’s [pre-qualifying] practice,” he said. “Today, we tried a lot of different things, but set-ups are always a tricky thing to figure out. It’s great that the track is pretty similar to a year ago, so we can definitely put something together that will keep us competitive this weekend.”

Fernando Alonso confirmed for Toyota LMP1 test in Bahrain

Getty Images
Leave a comment

SAKHIR, Bahrain – Fernando Alonso will take his first step towards a possible entry to the 24 Hours of Le Mans when he tests an LMP1 car for Toyota on Sunday at the Bahrain International Circuit.

McLaren Formula 1 driver and two-time world champion Alonso is hoping to appear at Le Mans next year as part of his bid to become just the second man in history to complete the ‘Triple Crown of Motorsport’.

Alonso has already completed one leg by winning the Monaco Grand Prix twice, and made his debut at the Indianapolis 500 in May with McLaren-Honda-Andretti, retiring late on due to an engine failure.

Momentum is building for Alonso to make his Le Mans debut with Toyota in 2018, starting with a first sports car run-out in the FIA World Endurance Championship’s end-of-season rookie test in Bahrain on Sunday.

Alonso arrived in Bahrain on Saturday to watch the six-hour WEC race as an invited guest of the Bahraini royal family, with his participation in the test being confirmed after the race.

“We are very excited that Fernando will test our car. When he visited us in Cologne everyone who met him could sense his enthusiasm and passion for our sport; he is a true racer,” Toyota Gazoo Racing team president Hisatake Murata said.

“We very much respect his interest in different forms of motorsport and it is a pleasure to offer him this chance to drive a hybrid LMP1 car. It will be interesting to hear his feedback on the TS050 Hybrid.”

Alonso will share running in the Toyota car with 19-year-old Thomas Laurent, who received a test as a prize for his star display during his rookie WEC campaign this year, while regular Toyota racer Mike Conway will also complete laps.