Tracy, Fernandez inducted into Long Beach Walk of Fame

Leave a comment

A pair of Champ Car’s most memorable competitors took their place among racing royalty Thursday, as Paul Tracy and Adrian Fernandez were inducted into the Long Beach Motorsports Walk of Fame.

Tracy claimed four victories at the Beach during his driving career, which ties him for second with Mario Andretti on the all-time wins list at the circuit (Al Unser Jr. leads with six). One of those victories had him and Fernandez finish first and second respectively in 2003 — and helped propel him toward that year’s series title.

“My first race in an Indy car was [at Long Beach] in 1991 with Dale Coyne and my first win was here,” Tracy said. “I was walking across the bridge and said to myself, ‘Man, where did all the time go?’ I still feel as young as ever. I want to thank all the great teams I’ve driven for, all the teammates, all the competitors that have spurred me on and the conflict that has spurred me on.”

Fernandez never won in 11 Champ Car starts at Long Beach, but nonetheless scored an American Le Mans Series P2 class win there in 2009 with fellow Mexican racer Luis Diaz. He too made his open-wheel debut (1993, with Galles Racing) at this track, and is credited as a major catalyst in increasing the Grand Prix of Long Beach’s presence amongst the Hispanic/Latino community.

“I’m humbled to accept this special gift,” said Fernandez, who earned 11 career wins (eight in Champ Car, three in IRL/IndyCar) and now works as manager for McLaren young gun Sergio Perez. “As a driver, you put forth all this effort for more than three decades and it’s been a fantastic ride. Long Beach has always been a fantastic race and a ‘home’ track. I remember coming here and seeing so many Mexican fans. It’s always been the jewel of Indy car street races.”

Lauda labels Verstappen USGP penalty ‘the worst I’ve ever seen’

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mercedes Formula 1 non-executive chairman Niki Lauda has called the FIA stewards’ decision to penalize Max Verstappen for his last-lap pass on Kimi Raikkonen in Sunday’s United States Grand Prix as “the worst I’ve ever seen”.

Verstappen charged from 16th on the grid to take third place from Raikkonen on the last lap after a stunning fight through the field, completing the fightback with a bold pass in the final sector.

However, the stewards stripped Verstappen of P3 after he appeared to put all four wheels off the circuit when riding the kerb to pass Raikkonen, causing outcry in the F1 community.

Speaking to reporters after the race in Austin, Lauda condemned the stewards’ decision, slamming them for interfering in the late fight.

“We had meetings at the start of the year to see how far stewards should go in decisions during a race because it always says ‘under investigation’,” Lauda said, as quoted by Crash.net.

“So we complained about that and we agreed all together that the stewards would not interfere – very simple.

“If the driver goes over another and upside down, only then would they weigh in. That was at the beginning of last year.

“For six months it was OK, but this decision was the worst I’ve ever seen. He did nothing wrong.”

Lauda said F1 team bosses would discuss stewarding at the next Strategy Group meeting, which is due to be held in the next two weeks.

“These are racing drivers. We are not on the normal roads and it is ridiculous to destroy the sport with these kind of decisions,” Lauda said.

“At the next strategy meeting, we will put it back on the agenda and start all over again, because we cannot do that.

“They go too far and interfere and there was nothing to interfere with. It was normal overtaking.”