John Watson respects Perez’s fighting spirit

1 Comment

Former McLaren driver John Watson has told Jenson Button to stop complaining about Sergio Perez after the two teammates went head-to-head in last weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix.

During the race, Button came under pressure from Perez who was on a different strategy. The Mexican driver lost his front wing endplate when trying to make a move, before eventually getting past the 2009 world champion a few laps later.

Despite protesting the move, Button could not respond, and he did not hide his annoyance after the race. However, Watson believes that Button should just face facts and admit that he was slower.

“If Perez gives Button a difficult time, it’s up to Button to come to terms with it,” Watson told the BBC.

“It’s a fact of life. He can’t expect Martin Whitmarsh to tell Perez to back off.”

Instead of complaining, Watson encouraged Button to respond by fighting back and dealing with the situation on track.

“If your kid teammate is pushing you hard, it’s not nice, but it’s part of the game. You have to respond by getting in and doing the best job.”

Watson also said that Button’s experience and credentials made him a yardstick for Perez this season.

“Button is very experienced and the number one driver in that team, even though McLaren say there is no number one and number two.

“He has a target on his back and Perez will think that if he beats him, he’ll be in the pound seat at McLaren.”

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh has held talks between the drivers to discuss on track etiquette, and McLaren will be keen to avoid a similar situation when Formula One returns to Europe in two weeks’ time.

Williams confirms Kubica and Sirotkin for Abu Dhabi F1 test

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Williams has confirmed that Robert Kubica will enjoy his third Formula 1 test outing with the team at the end-of-season running in Abu Dhabi next week as rumors grow regarding a possible race seat for 2018.

Almost seven years after his last F1 start, Kubica’s remarkable return from severe injuries sustained in a rally accident saw him enjoy two private tests with Renault before completing running with the team in a 2017-spec car in Hungary over the summer.

Reservations over Kubica’s capabilities prompted Renault to pass on giving him a seat, instead opting to hire Carlos Sainz Jr. for next year, only for Williams to become an alternative for the Pole.

Kubica tested a 2014-spec Williams at both Silverstone and the Hungaroring in recent months, and will now sample a 2017 car when he tests at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kubica will share track time with regular Williams racer Lance Stroll and Russian youngster Sergey Sirotkin, who has worked with Renault over the past two years but also missed out on a 2018 seat.

“Williams Martini Racing is pleased to confirm it will run Robert Kubica and Sergey Sirotkin for the Abu Dhabi Pirelli tire test, alongside current race driver Lance Stroll,” a statement from the team reads.

“The Pirelli tire test will take place over two days at the Yas Marina circuit during the week following the 2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“On day one Robert Kubica will drive the FW40 in the morning session, before Lance Stroll takes over in the afternoon.

“On day two Sergey Sirotkin will drive in the morning and afternoon sessions before handing over to Robert in the late afternoon.

“The test is aimed at evaluating 2018 candidate tires on behalf of the Formula 1 tire supplier Pirelli.

“Williams is excited to have this opportunity to assess the new tyres across such an interesting range of drivers: Lance, as confirmed race driver for 2018, Robert with his huge experience, and Sergey as a very promising young talent in Formula 1.”

Williams denied earlier this week it has signed Kubica to partner Stroll for 2018, but indications are the deal looks very likely to go ahead, subject to the relevant paperwork and contracts being finalized.