Montoya narrowly misses first Cup win on oval

Leave a comment

Juan Pablo Montoya was a cinch for his first Sprint Cup win on an oval last night at Richmond International Raceway, but a late caution turned the race into a free-for-all — and also ended his hopes.

With five laps remaining, it appeared a hard-charging Kevin Harvick was going to run out of time in his efforts to catch Montoya. But when Brian Vickers crashed in Turn 3 to bring out the yellow, everything changed.

“I said, ‘Really? Really?’,” Montoya replied with a laugh when asked of what was going through his mind at the time. TV cameras caught him bashing the steering wheel of his No. 42 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Chevrolet in frustration.

Instead of celebrating the end of a 94-race winless streak (Watkins Glen, 2010), Montoya and his EGR team were forced to look at the big picture and opted to pit with four laps to go for fresh tires.

Harvick did the same, and so Montoya and Harvick lined up sixth and seventh respectively for the green-white-checkered restart. But Montoya restarted on the outside and was only able to peel off two positions for a fourth-place result, while Harvick used his fresh tires to pull off a stunning win.

Montoya achieved his first Top 5 finish since Martinsville Speedway in 2011 and a much-needed first Top 10 of 2013. While he was understandably annoyed with his near-miss, he recognized how important it was to come away with a solid finish after a rough start to the campaign.

“[Ticked] off,” said Montoya. “Everybody…this week did an amazing job. We had a great car. Same as last week, we had a great car. The pit crew redeemed themselves tonight. They did a great job all day, no mistakes. That is what we needed.

“…It is the luck of the draw. We restarted on the outside, and we were screwed.”

Rebellion confirms LMP1 return, all-star line-up for WEC super season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rebellion Racing has confirmed it will return to the LMP1 class of the FIA World Endurance Championship for the 2018/19 ‘super season’ with an all-star line-up featuring Le Mans winners Neel Jani and Andre Lotterer.

Rebellion raced in LMP1 as a privateer between 2009 and 2016 before stepping down to LMP2 for the most recent season, capturing the class titles at the first attempt.

Following a push from the WEC and Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) to make LMP1 more appealing to privateer teams, Rebellion announced on Wednesday it would return to the premier class for the 2018/19 season with a two-car effort.

WEC LMP2 champion Bruno Senna will return with Rebellion next year, as will Mathias Beche, with the pair set to be joined by four new faces.

The most notable arrivals are Porsche factory drivers Lotterer and Jani, both of whom were left without an LMP1 drive following the closure of the German manufacturer’s program at the end of the season.

American racer Gustavo Menezes will also join Rebellion, stepping up after two years in LMP2, while outstanding 2017 rookie Thomas Laurent completes the Swiss team’s line-up.

“I am looking forward to coming back where my endurance career started nine years ago,” said Jani.

“Rebellion Racing played a huge role in my career and also helped me become a factory driver for Porsche. When Porsche stopped in LMP1, it was clear for me that I wanted to race again for Rebellion.

“With the new regulations, I hope we can reach the overall podium at Le Mans and with a bit of luck, maybe we can even grab some wins during the super season of WEC.”

“I am very happy to join the champion Rebellion team,” added three-time Le Mans winner Lotterer.

“The LMP1 project is very exciting and to be able to go on with the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the FIA WEC challenge is something I did not want to miss.

“I am motivated and looking forward to have a great time with great people there.”