She shoots, she scores.
Before making her way to Talladega Superspeedway, Sprint Cup rookie Danica Patrick was in the house at Chicago’s United Center for Game 1 of the Blackhawks’ quarterfinal series versus the Minnesota Wild — a game that the ‘Hawks took in overtime, 2-1.
But perhaps the home team wouldn’t have needed extra hockey to vanquish the Wild if Patrick had suited up on the ice. Because as it turns out, the Stewart-Haas Racing driver appears to have a decent wrist shot — and perhaps a touch of beginner’s luck — as she put the biscuit in the basket on her first try during the ‘Hawks “Shoot The Puck” promotion in the second intermission.
Meanwhile on the track, Patrick will be taking on some extra work this weekend at Talladega. She’ll be running the NASCAR Nationwide Series race on Saturday in addition to the Aaron’s 499 main event on Sunday. For the NNS race (her second of 2013), Patrick will drive the No. 34 Turner Scott Motorsports entry.
Considering her growing reputation as a threat on restrictor-plate tracks, this could prove to be a fruitful decision. Patrick finished 13th in last year’s NNS event at ‘Dega.
The FIA Formula E Championship will add Hong Kong to its calendar for its third season, 2016-2017.
The race will take place on October 9, 2016 – exactly one year from now – around the city’s Central district. The 2km circuit will run between Lung Wo Road and the Star Ferry, with cars reaching speeds of up to 225kph (140mph).
The launch event today featured the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Honourable CY Leung; Mr. Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO, Formula E Holdings; Mr. Lawrence Yu Kam-Kee, President of the Hong Kong Automobile Association; and reigining FE champion Nelson Piquet Jr.
“The Hong Kong ePrix will be one of the highlights on the FIA Formula E Championship calendar,” Agag said in a release. “As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities. We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city, and international motorsport back to Hong Kong.”
The track map is linked below.
Prema Powerteam has confirmed that it will enter GP2 for the first time in 2016, taking over the entry of Team Lazarus.
Prema has established itself as one of the most formidable teams in junior motorsport over the past 30 years, winning countless championships – including the last five FIA F3 titles – and helping to launch the careers of Ryan Briscoe, Roberto Merhi and Esteban Ocon (pictured).
In 2016, it will enter GP2 – Formula 1’s feeder series – for the very first time, taking over Lazarus’ entry as its four-year association with the series comes to an end.
“We are delighted to line-up for this exciting new adventure in the GP2 Series,” Prema manager Rene Rosin said. “Prema always followed the evolution of the GP2 concept as an interested spectator, and it is now finally time to join the game in first person.
“The move to the GP2 Series is a logical step for Prema, following the successful experiences in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship and in the Italian and the German Formula 4 Championships, which will continue with the same level of commitment.”
Series CEO Bruno Michel was pleased to welcome Prema to GP2, and believes that it will adapt quickly to life in the championship thanks to its impressive racing record.
“I am very pleased to welcome Prema to the GP2 Series,” Michel said. “Their remarkable track record makes me believe that they should be able to adapt quickly to our category.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank [Lazarus team principal] Tancredi Pagiaro and his team for their hard work and dedication for the past four seasons. I wish them the best for the future.”