Robert Kubica

Robert Kubica wants to focus solely on F1 race return

1 Comment

The last few years have seen several famous comebacks to Formula One: Michael Schumacher returned in 2010 after three years out of the sport, with Kimi Raikkonen’s 2012 comeback provoking more flair and emotions on track than any words uttered to the press. Adrian Sutil, too, has returned after a year’s hiatus to less fanfare.

The next driver who could be on the comeback trail is Polish driver Robert Kubica, perhaps one of the lost stars of this generation.

Kubica told Autosport his sole focus is a return to an full-time F1 race seat for 2014. He was most recently in Mercedes’ F1 simulator.

“I’m not able to come back into single-seaters at the moment, and my vision is not to come back in saloon cars on the circuit at this stage,” said Kubica, 28. “There is not any guarantee, there is no percentage to say whether I will come back or not, but it’s also not 100 percent that I will not be back in F1. I will try my best.”

He admitted DTM cars have some appeal later in his career, but not at the moment. Ex-Marussia and Toyota driver Timo Glock has taken up residence in the German championship this season, which starts this weekend in Hockenheim.

Kubica’s rally accident in 2011 cost him his F1 career to this point. His stock was boosted after a sincerely impressive 2010 where he dragged his geriatric Renault to places it shouldn’t have been. His best year, statistically, was in 2008 when he tied for third in the World Championship with Raikkonen, and won his first and only Grand Prix for BMW Sauber at the Canadian Grand Prix.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski