While declaring that he was “happy as hell” that the small Front Row Motorsports team defeated the giants Sunday at Talladega Superspeedway, Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski tweeted that race winner David Ragan switched lanes before the final restart, which isn’t allowed under NASCAR rules.
“Me thinks if someone looked at what happened on that restart they might feel differently about that finish…mad as hell about that finish. We were suppose to line up 10th when the 34 [Ragan] switched lanes entering [Turn] 3 before green. That lane won. BS…I’m happy as hell a small team won. Doesn’t change the fact that the restart was blatantly wrong,” Keselowski vented in a series of tweets.
However, NASCAR released a statement that said Keselowski’s own No. 2 machine was not in the proper lane for the final restart and was promptly moved there, while Ragan “was lined up properly all along.”
Ragan, of course, also maintained that he had done nothing wrong and went further by accusing Keselowski of trying to get the preferred lane for himself.
“Obviously, Brad wanted to start on the outside, because he knew the same thing that I knew — that the outside lane had an advantage on the restart,” Ragan said. “But he just didn’t want to listen to NASCAR. NASCAR makes the call on where we line up at and I listen to what NASCAR has to say.
“My spotter told me that’s what they radioed on the NASCAR channel, the crew chief said the same thing, and Brad was just trying to snooker us and get the preferred lane, and eventually, he decided he should do the right thing, and he restarted ninth and restarted 10th, so there’s no controversy.”
Ragan ended his comments on the subject by saying that NASCAR would “set [Keselowski] straight eventually” and that the Penske Racing driver “knows that he lined up in the right spot and I lined up in the right spot.”
Keselowski finished 15th in the race.
Three weeks after announcing his retirement from motorsport, Johnny Cecotto Jr. will return to racing this weekend at the GP2 round in Sochi, Russia.
Cecotto said on Twitter that “today my career ends” on September 17, announcing that he had lost his backing provided by the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
However, the GP2 veteran will return to racing this weekend with Trident, having last raced for the Italian team at Monza one month ago. He will partner Ferrari junior driver Raffaele Marciello once again.
Cecotto’s return is just one of a number of driver/team stories heading into the GP2 race weekend at Sochi:
- American driver Alexander Rossi returns to GP2 with Racing Engineering this weekend following his two-race stint in F1 with Manor. He will also take part in grands prix in the USA, Mexico and Brazil before returning to GP2 once again in Abu Dhabi.
- Julian Leal has announced his retirement from GP2, and is replaced by debutant Dean Stoneman at Carlin. Stoneman won at Sochi in GP3 last year en route to second place in the championship.S
- Sean Gelael will race for Carlin once again, having missed the round at Monza due to a Formula Renault 3.5 clash.
- Nicholas Latifi returns to GP2 this weekend with MP Motorsport, racing alongside Rene Binder.
- Nathanael Berthon also returns, racing for Team Lazarus.
- Hilmer Motorsport will miss the round in Sochi altogether, reducing the grid down to 24 cars.
The FIA Formula E Championship will add Hong Kong to its calendar for its third season, 2016-2017.
The race will take place on October 9, 2016 – exactly one year from now – around the city’s Central district. The 2km circuit will run between Lung Wo Road and the Star Ferry, with cars reaching speeds of up to 225kph (140mph).
The launch event today featured the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Honourable CY Leung; Mr. Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO, Formula E Holdings; Mr. Lawrence Yu Kam-Kee, President of the Hong Kong Automobile Association; and reigining FE champion Nelson Piquet Jr.
“The Hong Kong ePrix will be one of the highlights on the FIA Formula E Championship calendar,” Agag said in a release. “As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities. We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city, and international motorsport back to Hong Kong.”
The track map is linked below.