Marco Andretti: “We’re on par for a great season”

Leave a comment

The confidence continues to grow for Marco Andretti, who is now the only IZOD IndyCar Series driver with Top-10 finishes in all four races this season after claiming a third-place result on Sunday at the Sao Paulo Indy 300.

Andretti, who often faltered on road and street courses in 2012, has done the opposite so far in 2013. His run to third in Brazil, which culminated with a last-lap pass of Josef Newgarden to get on the podium, has him believing that this year could be something special for him and his No. 25 RC Cola Andretti Autosport group.

“I think right now, we’re on par for a great season,” said Andretti, who sits second in the IndyCar championship behind Takuma Sato thanks to his early-season success. “[Road/street courses are] what used to be the tough part of the season for me. We’ve been getting some decent results where I used to struggle, so I’m pleased with that.”

With the Indianapolis 500 coming up, he appears to be coming on strong at the right time. Last year at Indy, the third-generation racer qualified fourth and led a race-high 59 laps but couldn’t stay up front in the second half and ended his day crashing with 12 laps to go.

There’s no doubt that he will be itching to erase that bad memory, one almost as gut-wrenching as when he lost the 2006 ‘500’ to Sam Hornish Jr. by six one-hundredths of a second. But while he’ll go all-out for victory at the Brickyard — he is, after all, an Andretti — he knows that there’s the championship to consider, too.

“We have some good momentum going, but we’ve always run well at Indianapolis,” he said. “Obviously, it’s a totally different ballgame being an oval. We just have to get a good race car there. If we can’t win, get another good result and keep the points going.”

Leclerc: No. 16 was third-choice for Formula 1 career

Getty Images
Leave a comment

2018 Formula 1 rookie Charles Leclerc has revealed No. 16 was his third-choice number to use through his grand prix career, with his preferred options having already been taken.

From 2014, drivers were given the chance to pick a number to use through their F1 careers instead of being assigned one depending on their team’s championship position.

Formula 2 champion and Ferrari junior Leclerc was announced in an Alfa Romeo Sauber race seat for 2018 earlier this month, picking No. 16 as his permanent number.

However, the Monegasque racer revealed last week that it was in fact his third choice, with both No. 7 and No. 10 already being taken by Kimi Raikkonen and Pierre Gasly respectively.

“It’s quite simple to be honest: I wanted number 7 first, but Kimi had it,” Leclerc said, as quoted by Crash.net.

“Then I chose 10, but Pierre came to F1 and chose number 10, so then I chose number 16.

“It’s just my date of birth and I could not find anything better. And 1 + 6 = 7, which is my favorite number.”

Leclerc will become the first driver hailing from Monaco to race in F1 since Olivier Beretta, who made nine grand prix starts in 1994 for Larrousse.