Kasey Kahne upset with Kyle Busch following wreck

1 Comment

It was tough to tell whether Kyle Busch had nudged Kasey Kahne in their late-race battle for the lead last night at Darlington Raceway, causing Kahne to slap the wall and end his chances for a Bojangles’ Southern 500 win.

Nonetheless, the Hendrick Motorsports driver was angry with Busch, who he also holds responsible for wrecks that ruined his races at the season-opening Daytona 500 and last weekend at Talladega Superspeedway.

Kahne was on the outside of Busch as the two raced side-by-side into Turn 1 on Lap 333, when Busch’s No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota suddenly began to slide up the track. The right-rear corner of Kahne’s No. 5 Chevrolet then brushed the wall before the whole car hit it broadside.

“Well, he needs to quit…I mean, he’s got to just race me,” said Kahne, who wound up 17th. “I mean, I’ve never touched the guy in my life as far as on the race track. Three times this year, there have been other times in other years. I don’t really know what his deal is with me. He blew that entry into [Turn) 1. I got to the outside. I got by him into [Turn) 3. We had a great restart [on Lap 332]. We kept getting our car better. The guys did an awesome job. Then he just blew his entry into [Turn] 1.

“Whether he touched me…I mean, it was very close, whatever it was. The angle he took into the corner, he had no steer and just went straight. Then I went spinning. It was definitely a tough way to end our race. We had just got to the point where I could move off the bottom. I could move up higher because we had been so loose and I felt really good.”

Busch, who faded back to sixth thanks to a slowly deflating right-rear tire, made no comments after the race. Crew chief Dave Rogers maintained that his driver was equally disgusted about his involvement in the incident.

“This is the third time we’ve been involved in an incident with Kasey,” Rogers said according to USA Today’s Jeff Gluck. “All of us over here have a ton of respect for that program and Kyle thinks the world of Kasey Kahne…He was really somber and disappointed it happened. Unfortunately, it’s part of this sport.”

Reaction to INDYCAR/NBC Sports Group announcement: Mario Andretti, Roger Penske, Bobby Rahal and social media

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Like countless others on the East Coast, Mario Andretti was fighting through a snowstorm Wednesday morning.

But emotionally and personally, it was a very bright and sunny day for the legendary Indy car driver.

In an exclusive interview with NBCSports.com, Andretti spoke in glowing terms about this morning’s announcement of a multi-year media rights partnership between INDYCAR and NBC Sports Group beginning next year.

“I think this is awesome,” Andretti said. “It’s music to my ears and all of us. NBC has been very familiar with IndyCar racing, so they’re a great partner. I’m elated that it’s all nailed down, secured and I’m looking forward to the future.

“It’s also great for the young lads in Indy Lights coming on, and it’s great for all the sponsors to have that kind of exposure. It’s a good day for INDYCAR today.”

Andretti lauded the fact that all elements of INDYCAR coverage – TV, digital and streaming – will now be under one corporate roof, so to speak.

“Personally, I think it’s huge,” Andretti said. “Everybody is going to be very familiar with everything, the storylines are going to flow perfectly from event to event. There’s nothing like continuity.

“It’s okay sometimes if you have two networks, but to me, the best possible solution is this. That’s why I think this is really a great day for INDYCAR racing to have NBC involved and the continuity is huge for us.”

MORE: NBC Sports Group, INDYCAR partner on new TV and digital rights agreement starting in 2019

MORE: Optimism abounds with new INDYCAR media partnership


Several other high-profile individuals within the IndyCar community also gave their take on Wednesday’s announcement, including statements from team owners Roger Penske and Bobby Rahal.

Roger Penske: “As an industry, we are very fortunate to have the NBC Sports Group grow their presence and coverage of INDYCAR racing and really invest in the future of the sport. We believe there is a great deal of positive momentum in the Verizon IndyCar Series right now, from the development of the new race car, to the very talented group of young drivers and new teams coming into the sport this season.

“With the announcement of the enhanced broadcast partnership with NBC, it certainly adds to the excitement for the future. We know that the ways our fans are watching races and viewing INDYCAR content is rapidly changing, so staying ahead of the curve and the developing technology with our partners is important to the growth of our sport. We look forward to working with the NBC team to continue to build INDYCAR and take the sport in new directions.

“We also need to thank ABC and ESPN for all their terrific coverage over the years. The ABC network helped bring some of the most memorable moments in racing to life – including many of our team’s Indianapolis 500 victories – and we appreciate all of their hard work and passion for INDYCAR racing.”

Bobby Rahal: “It’s great news. I think the fact that the IndyCar Series will be under one roof, so to speak, network-wise can do nothing but great things for our sport. To increase to having eight races on network TV is also great news of course.

“The quality of the NBC broadcasts have gotten better and better over the last several years. They do a great job of providing interesting and entertaining content for the viewers and I think that will only continue to grow with the relationship going forward. That type of storytelling is also what helps bring new fans to the sport.”



Follow @JerryBonkowski