IndyCar confirms Derrick Walker as new President of Competition, Operations

Leave a comment

Derrick Walker was introduced Monday as IndyCar’s new President of Operations and Competition. The confirmation follows a report by Robin Miller on SPEED.com last week.

Walker will be responsible for all technical and competition aspects of the racing operations at the open-wheel sanctioning body. A team of six others will report directly to him, and Walker will report directly to Mark Miles, the CEO of IndyCar parent company Hulman & Co.

The five key areas he’ll look after include: cost management, enhancing innovation within the current technical platform and race formats, continuing to emphasize and develop safety initiatives, sustaining programs and avenues to develop drivers and suppliers for the IZOD IndyCar Series, and developing plans for future technical platforms.

“I am going to the dark side and happily so,” said Walker, 68, who worked with Penske Racing as a mechanic, then team manager, before starting his own race team in IndyCar.

“It is a lot to learn. Fortunately there is a lot of good people at IndyCar that have been around a heck of a lot longer on this side of the fence than me. So I expect to be on a very steep learning curve and find my place in how to influence or how to help steer the governing body.

“I think when you look at the quality of the field of IndyCar, it demands a strong governing body that has a vision and the leadership that is required to match the quality of our teams.

“So we have a responsibility and obligation to be as good as we can as a governing body. So hopefully I can fit into that matrix somewhere there.”

The team reporting to Walker includes: Brian Barnhart, who will serve as senior vice president of operations; race director Beaux Barfield; vice president of technology Will Phillips; vice president of technology, timing and scoring Jon Koskey; director of grassroots initiatives Jason Penix; and Firestone Indy Lights director Anton “Tony” George Jr.

Walker will leave his post as team manager with Ed Carpenter Racing in IndyCar and begin his new role with the series on May 27.

Additionally, Walker said this weekend in Monterey, Calif. that if he took the IndyCar role, he would continue his team manager role with Team Falken Tire if the team continues into the 2014 merged sports car championship, United Sports Car Racing.

In Monterey, the No. 17 Porsche driven by Bryan Sellers and Wolf Henzler finished second in the GT class despite a post-race points penalty assessed for the car failing its stall test in post-race inspection.

Toro Rosso boss hopes to see Kvyat return to Formula 1

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost hopes to see sacked driver Daniil Kvyat return to Formula 1 in the near future, saying the Russian “deserves” a place on the grid.

Toro Rosso dropped Kvyat twice through the 2017 season due to poor form, with his final dismissal coming after the United States Grand Prix in October.

Kvyat is no longer part of Red Bull’s motorsport program and is exploring options both inside and outside of F1 for 2018, and Tost feels he could be energized by some time away before returning.

“I am still convinced that Daniil has a very high natural speed. He was sometimes even faster than Daniel Riccardo, but somehow last year and this year he couldn’t show the potential that is within him,” Tost told the official F1 website.

“He was involved in many incidents, but in his defence I also have to say that he had many reliability issues and that didn’t help build up confidence. Being the victim of too many incidents killed the performance he would have been able to show.

“Maybe a short break – to get organized again – and probably we will see Daniil back at his usual performance level with another team.

“Sometimes he was too aggressive at the beginning of the race. The first corner was his weak point. He wanted too much in the first hundred meters – success by any means!

“That puts you under pressure – unnecessary pressure – and that never works.

“I hope for him that he gets another chance, as I think he deserves to be in F1.”