UPDATE: Pippa Mann, Conor Daly turn their first laps of the month at IMS

Leave a comment

Pippa Mann and Conor Daly took to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Monday morning for their veteran refresher and Rookie Orientation Program laps, respectively.

For Mann, it marked her first time in the Dallara DW12 chassis, with the No. 63 Cyclops Gear Dale Coyne Racing entry making its first laps of the month. Mann made her debut in the Indianapolis 500 in 2011 and has worked tirelessly over the last year to find the funding for a return.

“Completed our shake down and #VetRefresher program! So good to be back in an #Indycar @IMS!!! #THANKYOU @DaleCoyneRacing @CyclopsGear!!!” Mann tweeted shortly thereafter.

Daly (pictured, with teammate Takuma Sato, photo via IndyCar) made his first oval laps in the Dallara after his last IndyCar test came in December at Sebring International Raceway. Daly flew back to Indianapolis from Barcelona, via London and Chicago O’Hare, with everything but a HANS Device in tow.

The Heritage Christian School graduate passed two of the first three phases of his ROP in the morning. He will qualify the No. 41 ABC Supply entry for A.J. Foyt Racing. He finished on the podium in GP3 this weekend.

“Wow what an experience. Will never forget this morning. Time to get to the real work! Thank you @AJFoytRacing #mamaimgoinfast,” Daly tweeted Monday.

UPDATE: 5:45 P.M. ET: Daly completed his third and final phase of ROP, the fourth driver to do so after AJ Allmendinger, Carlos Munoz and Tristan Vautier.

Brown: Dennis would have made same decision on McLaren-Honda split

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Zak Brown believes former McLaren team boss Ron Dennis would have made the same decision to cut ties with struggling Formula 1 engine partner Honda had he still been in charge at the team in 2017.

McLaren executive director Brown helped engineer a deal for the team to split with Honda at the end of the 2017 season after three tough seasons that had seen the Japanese manufacturer offer little in the way of performance or reliability.

The decision split opinion, with McLaren spurning a significant annual financial injection from Honda in order to link up with Renault, believing its on-track fortunes had to be prioritized over its commercial interests.

In an interview with Sky Sports, Brown was asked if he believed Dennis – McLaren’s long-running team chief before stepping down at the end of 2016 – would have made the same decision to cut ties with Honda.

“I think he would have,” Brown said.

“He was here when those conversations were ongoing and I think Ron always has and always will have the best interests of McLaren in his heart.

“He is Mr. McLaren. It burns him inside as much as us not to see us winning races.”

Brown also elaborated on the decision to break off the much-lauded relationship with Honda, saying the first signs of trouble with the 2017 power unit were clear in pre-season.

After a number of attempts to try and rectify the situation, Brown and his fellow team bosses felt there was no alternative but to end the Honda deal for 2018.

“We knew we were in trouble in testing in Barcelona and we worked really hard for six months to try and find solutions that would give us confidence that we’d be much more competitive in 2018,” Brown said.

“Ultimately, after trying many different things and many different ways we felt we couldn’t get there.

“Three years is a long time in Formula 1 and so we needed to change the direction to get our team back at the top.”