Pirelli hasten changes after Ecclestone criticism

2 Comments

Pirelli will implement changes to their 2013-specification changes sooner than planned following criticism for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone.

Formula One’s official tire supplier announced on Tuesday it will bring revised compounds in time for the Canadian Grand Prix instead of the British Grand Prix, as they had previously indicated.

The changes to the tires aim to prevent drivers from needing to make four pit stops per race, as occurred in Spain, and to address the delamination problems that have been seen.

“Our aim is to provide the teams with a new range which mixes the stability of the 2012 tyres and the performance of the current ones,” said Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery.

“As a company, we have always moved quickly to make improvements where we see them to be necessary. After evaluating data from the first few races this year, we’ve decided to introduce a further evolution as it became clear at the Spanish Grand Prix that the number of pit stops was too high.”

“We’ve also taken this step to avoid the delaminations that were caused by track debris,” Hembery added.

“It’s important to point out that these delaminations, which occur when the tread comes off, do not compromise the safety of the tyres as the core structure of the tyre is not affected in any way, helping drivers to complete the lap and to change the damaged tyres safely. These delaminations were due to damage from debris that overheated the tread.”

Felipe Massa suffered two tire failures during the race in Bahrain, Lewis Hamilton had a tire problem during practice for the same race, and Paul di Resta had a similar failure during practice in Spain.

Ecclestone criticised Pirelli following the Spanish Grand Prix, which saw drivers make a total of 77 pit stops.

“The tyres are wrong, not what we intended when we asked Pirelli to produce something which did a half race,” Ecclestone told the Daily Express.

Williams confirms Kubica and Sirotkin for Abu Dhabi F1 test

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Williams has confirmed that Robert Kubica will enjoy his third Formula 1 test outing with the team at the end-of-season running in Abu Dhabi next week as rumors grow regarding a possible race seat for 2018.

Almost seven years after his last F1 start, Kubica’s remarkable return from severe injuries sustained in a rally accident saw him enjoy two private tests with Renault before completing running with the team in a 2017-spec car in Hungary over the summer.

Reservations over Kubica’s capabilities prompted Renault to pass on giving him a seat, instead opting to hire Carlos Sainz Jr. for next year, only for Williams to become an alternative for the Pole.

Kubica tested a 2014-spec Williams at both Silverstone and the Hungaroring in recent months, and will now sample a 2017 car when he tests at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kubica will share track time with regular Williams racer Lance Stroll and Russian youngster Sergey Sirotkin, who has worked with Renault over the past two years but also missed out on a 2018 seat.

“Williams Martini Racing is pleased to confirm it will run Robert Kubica and Sergey Sirotkin for the Abu Dhabi Pirelli tire test, alongside current race driver Lance Stroll,” a statement from the team reads.

“The Pirelli tire test will take place over two days at the Yas Marina circuit during the week following the 2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“On day one Robert Kubica will drive the FW40 in the morning session, before Lance Stroll takes over in the afternoon.

“On day two Sergey Sirotkin will drive in the morning and afternoon sessions before handing over to Robert in the late afternoon.

“The test is aimed at evaluating 2018 candidate tires on behalf of the Formula 1 tire supplier Pirelli.

“Williams is excited to have this opportunity to assess the new tyres across such an interesting range of drivers: Lance, as confirmed race driver for 2018, Robert with his huge experience, and Sergey as a very promising young talent in Formula 1.”

Williams denied earlier this week it has signed Kubica to partner Stroll for 2018, but indications are the deal looks very likely to go ahead, subject to the relevant paperwork and contracts being finalized.