Pirelli hasten changes after Ecclestone criticism

2 Comments

Pirelli will implement changes to their 2013-specification changes sooner than planned following criticism for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone.

Formula One’s official tire supplier announced on Tuesday it will bring revised compounds in time for the Canadian Grand Prix instead of the British Grand Prix, as they had previously indicated.

The changes to the tires aim to prevent drivers from needing to make four pit stops per race, as occurred in Spain, and to address the delamination problems that have been seen.

“Our aim is to provide the teams with a new range which mixes the stability of the 2012 tyres and the performance of the current ones,” said Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery.

“As a company, we have always moved quickly to make improvements where we see them to be necessary. After evaluating data from the first few races this year, we’ve decided to introduce a further evolution as it became clear at the Spanish Grand Prix that the number of pit stops was too high.”

“We’ve also taken this step to avoid the delaminations that were caused by track debris,” Hembery added.

“It’s important to point out that these delaminations, which occur when the tread comes off, do not compromise the safety of the tyres as the core structure of the tyre is not affected in any way, helping drivers to complete the lap and to change the damaged tyres safely. These delaminations were due to damage from debris that overheated the tread.”

Felipe Massa suffered two tire failures during the race in Bahrain, Lewis Hamilton had a tire problem during practice for the same race, and Paul di Resta had a similar failure during practice in Spain.

Ecclestone criticised Pirelli following the Spanish Grand Prix, which saw drivers make a total of 77 pit stops.

“The tyres are wrong, not what we intended when we asked Pirelli to produce something which did a half race,” Ecclestone told the Daily Express.

‘No desire’ for Lewis Hamilton to race in Indianapolis 500

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton has ruled out a future appearance in the Indianapolis 500, saying he has “no real plans” to do any serious racing once his time in Formula 1 is over.

Former teammate and current McLaren driver Fernando Alonso took part in the 101st running of the Indy 500 in May, qualifying fifth and running high up the order before retiring late on with an engine issue.

The F1-to-IndyCar crossover proved to be one of the biggest motorsport stories of the year, and has stirred the imagination of other drivers to make a similar step into other events in the future, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans which is known to be on Alonso’s radar as well as that of Haas racer Romain Grosjean.

Three-time F1 world champion Hamilton admired 2017 Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato’s victory ring when on the podium at the Japanese Grand Prix earlier this month, trying it on and joking it may spur him to enter the race to try and win the jewelry.

Speaking ahead of this weekend’s United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, Hamilton stressed he made the comment in jest, saying he holds not interest in entering the ‘500.

“Honestly it hasn’t inspired me to do the Indy 500,” Hamilton said.

“I’ve always respected it and appreciated it. I got to watch part of it when Fernando did it which I thought was super exciting. I love the idea of drivers being able to do more than one series.

“Just the other day I got to drive an F1 car on an oval circuit which was interesting. I have a huge amount of respect for those drivers as it is quite scary approaching those banks at the speeds that they do.

“I personally don’t have a desire to drive it. Maybe one day I will go out and have some fun.

“I have a lot of opportunities to do those kinds of things, but no real plans to do anything serious.”

Hamilton has previously said he would like to try a NASCAR race for fun one day, but has made clear his plan after his F1 career is over is to distance himself from racing in order to pursue other interests.