Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Race

Tost: Ricciardo leading race for Red Bull seat

Leave a comment

Scuderia Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost believes that Daniel Ricciardo is currently leading the race to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull at the end of the season, although he refused to write off Jean-Eric Vergne’s chances.

Both Toro Rosso drivers have made good starts to the 2013 season, but it is Ricciardo who has starred, running to P7 at the Chinese Grand Prix and turning many heads in the process.

“Well, performance is all that matters and you definitely can see that Daniel with 11 races more under his belt – which is more than half of a season – is probably in a better situation,” Tost told the official Formula One website.

“Right now he has the upper hand, which we have seen in Barcelona. But that is a snapshot right now. Generally I would say that both would fit into the Red Bull concept.”

Tost did make clear that if either driver was to join Red Bull for next season, they would need to have a highly impressive second half of 2013 to prove that they are worthy of joining the defending world champions.

“Both would have to demonstrate an exceptionally good second half of the season, because don’t forget we are speaking about the world champions, so the requirement profile is quite different to being with a team like Toro Rosso.

“But don’t get me wrong, both are on a very good path and everything will depend on the next couple of months as to whether one of the two of them – should the need be there – qualify for Red Bull Racing.”

Ricciardo and Vergne both have strong cases for joining Red Bull should the team choose not to renew Mark Webber’s contract, but with Nico Hulkenberg and Kimi Raikkonen also thought to be in the running for the seat, the Toro Rosso pair will need to produce some sensational performances if they are to prove their worth to the world champions.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski