Four women will take the green flag at Indianapolis

4 Comments

For the first time since 2011, four female drivers will be racing at the Indianapolis 500. Today, three of them — Dale Coyne Racing’s Ana Beatriz and Pippa Mann (pictured), as well as 33rd and final qualifier Katherine Legge from Schmidt Peterson Pelfrey Motorsports — joined KV Racing Technology’s Simona de Silvestro (24th position) on the starting grid for next Sunday’s race.

Beatriz and Mann will be in the middle and outside of Row 10 respectively, joining rookie driver Tristan Vautier in that spot on the grid. Both DCR competitors posted four-lap averages in the low 224s; Beatriz at 224.184 mph in the No. 18 Ipiranga entry and Mann at 224.005 mph in her No. 63 Cyclops Gear car.

“We were a mile [per hour] slower than we were yesterday, so that broke my heart a little bit, watching the dash,” said Beatriz after her run. “…This is my second time for Bump Day, and it is very stressful.”

“It would have been great to get back out there this afternoon and do some race running, but we were a little too close to the bubble and nervous,” Mann admitted. “However, it was a wonderful feeling as those nerves began to dissipate and we started to smile and realize we’d made it in.”

Legge was on the bubble for much of the afternoon with an average of 223.176 miles per hour, but stayed in the show as it became clear that Michel Jourdain, Jr. would be unable to match that speed.

She had logged less than 20 laps in her car before going out to qualify this afternoon and with that in mind, she is looking forward to getting more laps in on Friday (Carb Day), which will be her last chance to practice before the race.

“I’m not under any illusions that we’re likely to win, but stranger things have happened, and I have a really good race car,” she said. “It’s going to be about being smart; it’s going to be about getting through the field. We ran in traffic today for 10, 15 laps. The car feels pretty very good.

“If we have a decent Carb Day, I think top 10 has to be our goal. I really think the car is capable of that, so then it’s just down to me.”

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
1 Comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”