Don’t overlook E.J. Viso as a part of Andretti’s all-star arsenal at Indy

Leave a comment

At Andretti Autosport, Ryan Hunter-Reay’s the defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion. James Hinchcliffe has won two of the first four races this year. Marco Andretti has the legendary surname and is off to the best start of his IndyCar career. Carlos Munoz has stolen some headlines in his rookie Indianapolis 500 appearance with a front row start.

So, with that as a backdrop, the fifth driver in Andretti’s all-star arsenal is E.J. Viso, and his performance this month in the No. 5 Team Venezuela/Andretti/HVM Chevrolet – really, this season for that matter – has not gotten the credit it deserves.

In already his sixth season in the series, Viso starred with a run to the outside pole in Brazil, and a comeback from an accident in practice at St. Pete with a 22nd place starting position to seventh place in the race.

Viso’s fourth on the grid at Indy, behind teammates Munoz and Andretti, and more comfortable now within these confines than any previous year.

“I’m thinking not only about the starting position, but also about the fact we’ve been strong all month,” Viso said Wednesday. “It’s been a refreshing, positive experience so far. You can tell the teamwork here happens all the time, and it’s why the team is so strong.”

New to the team this year, Viso does have some elements from his past with him – among them, engineer Michael Cannon. Cannon and Viso worked together in Viso’s first two seasons in IndyCar, and the reunion has been mutually beneficial.

“I believe in continuity and having Mike back on board has been good for that,” Viso said. “My first two years, even if I was in a team with limited resources, our performance was outstanding in many races. We have a lot of trust in each other. We talk the same language. Those are good keys and understanding to this sport.”

Viso has really come into his own as a driver this season. His pace is there, and the accident-riddled past is a distant memory. The renewed confidence from the support of the Andretti team has fueled his progression.

“This is a sport where so much happens around you that you need trust and faith in yourself in your capabilities, and learn from the tough years,” he admitted. “Honestly the past five years have been difficult. I’ve been a winner in every category except in IndyCar. But being in a team now, with all the pieces, we always have a shot at winning.”

Watch Friday’s Indianapolis 500 Carb Day (11 a.m. ET) online or on your mobile device.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”