A.J. and Larry Foyt have family team at top of IndyCar

Leave a comment

Larry Foyt may be earning praise for his management of the team that bears his father’s name. But he makes sure to keep four-time Indianapolis 500 champion A.J. Foyt 100 percent involved in its direction.

“Believe it or not, I hardly make a decision that we [both] don’t go over,” Larry said on Thursday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “Our working relationship has really been awesome. When I first came in, when he made the announcement that I was going to be team director, I didn’t want to just jump in and be the boss’ kid [and] come in and change everything. I really had to get back into an IndyCar mentality. I wanted to analyze the team, see what we were working with.

“As I’ve learned over the years, every year he’s given me a little bit more leeway to do things the way I’ve wanted. I think we’ve become a more engineering-based team, kind of what modern IndyCar racing is. It has changed a lot over the years.”

It was Larry that was the catalyst for the team’s signing of driver Takuma Sato, with A.J. mentioning that his son was “doing most of the talking” on that effort. So far, the decision has paid off handsomely with Sato’s victory at Long Beach last month (the first in over a decade for A.J. Foyt Racing) and a place atop the IZOD IndyCar Series championship standings going into this weekend’s “500.”

“I think we knew he was a good race driver,” A.J. said about Sato’s hire. “He did a lot of testing for Honda way back yonder on road courses. [We were] kind of looking for a guy that could play both parts, ovals and road courses…He does give you good feedback. [He] and the engineers work very close. I think that’s really been successful for us.”

As for the chances that he, Rick Mears and Al Unser are joined by either Helio Castroneves or Dario Franchitti this weekend as four-time winners of the “500,” A.J. said he wouldn’t be surprised to see “a six, seven, eight-time winner” of the race one day with the current technology being used.

However, he also wondered how Castroneves and Franchitti would fare in the equipment he raced with in the past.

“They’re good race car drivers with the equipment they’re in, [but] they need to get in a roadster with cement tires and see how good they stick in a corner,” A.J. said, earning some laughs from his audience.

NHRA: John Force-like motor explosions get contagious during Sunday’s Gatornationals

Photo and video courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

John Force is rubbing off on others – but probably not the way they or he would like.

The 16-time NHRA Funny Car champion has had spectacular motor explosions in each of the first three races of the new NHRA season, including during Friday’s qualifying for this weekend’s Gatornationals.

During Sunday’s quarterfinals of eliminations, Force’s teammate (and son-in-law and president of John Force Racing) Robert Hight squared off with fellow Funny Car driver Matt Hagan.

As the duo closed in on the finish line, both cars experienced spectacular motor explosions of their own – virtually side-by-side and nearly at the same time.

Hight’s car was the first to explode, tossing its body high in the air. A split-second later, Hagan’s car exploded, also sending the body flying.

Check out the NHRA video:

Hight wound up losing the race.

Hagan, meanwhile, and his crack pit crew rolled their backup car off the hauler, put in a new motor and went on to race through the semifinals and into the finals, losing to race winner “Fast Jack” Beckman.

“We had a pretty great race day, to be honest,” Hagan said. “I’ve never been to the finals in Gainesville.

“We obviously had a huge blow up in the second round, then to watch these guys pull the other car back out and put it together in the amount of time they had, then turn a win light on against Capps (Don Schumacher Racing teammate Ron Capps in the semifinals), then to be able to go to a final, it was huge and it speaks for itself.”

As for Hight, here’s his take on what happened with the motor explosion:

“I couldn’t see (Hagan) over there and it wasn’t like it was hazing the tires or anything else. As it turns out it wasn’t spinning at all. It kicked two rods out when it blacked the bearings in the crank then it hit the valves and blew up.

“The thing gave me no indication at all before that. What really scared me was once I got it under control and I look over and see his body is off his car. I am thinking ‘Oh man, he got gathered up in me.’ Then I stood up and looked and his injector was sideways so I realized he had an explosion as well. We are just lucky we didn’t get into each other.”

As for the guy who has had so much trouble in the motor department, John Force, he lost in the first round of Sunday’s eliminations to daughter Courtney Force.

John Force planned on shutting the motor off on his car at around the 700-foot mark of the 1,000-foot dragstrip, not wanting to risk another motor explosion – even though it meant a likely loss to his daughter.

Now John Force and his entire four-car team, including Courtney Force, Robert Hight and daughter and Top Fuel driver Brittany Force, will be off for extensive testing to try and determine what’s been causing the motor explosions.

“We have to evaluate it and go test,” Force said. “We’ll figure it out.”

Follow @JerryBonkowski