Three teams poised to change engine supplier for 2014

Leave a comment

Three teams appear to be one step closer to signing new engine contracts for next season, according to reports.

Marussia, Scuderia Toro Rosso and Williams have all been rumored to be looking for new engine contracts to coincide with the new regulations in 2014, and, according to Auto Motor und Sport, the deals are close to being finalized.

Marussia are set to sign a contract with Ferrari which has been aided by Jules Bianchi’s drive with the backmarkers. Bianchi is a part of Ferrari’s driver academy, and he runs with the Scuderia’s logo on his helmet. Current suppliers Cosworth are set to withdraw from F1 at the end of the season, but Marussia are happy to make the change as they look to cut the gap to the midfield. Although Pat Symonds has previously stated that the team is considering all possible options, it would appear Ferrari are leading the race for a new customer team.

However, the Italian marque could lose its contract with Toro Rosso for next season. The partnership has existed ever since 2007, but Toro Rosso are reportedly pursuing a contract with Renault in order to draw them closer to sister team Red Bull. However, Red Bull are in turn rumored to be considering a rebrand of their engines under the Infiniti umbrella, which could potentially alter any plans.

Renault may be set to lose its contract with Williams, who are in talks with Mercedes over an engine supply for next season. Should the British team make the change, it would be the sixth time in eight years that they have changed supplier. Mercedes are reported to be offering a deal over $6m per season cheaper than Renault, which may be the driving force behind the agreement.

Additionally, Lotus are also said to be considering a switch in supplier when Honda enter the sport in 2015. The Japanese manufacturer has already signed a deal with McLaren, but they have expressed an interest in taking on another customer team. The changes in the F1 engine market are certainly occurring quickly in order to coincide with the regulation changes for next season, and it will only make the order even less predictable heading into 2014.

NHRA: Brittany Force cleared to race this weekend in Phoenix after bad wreck 2 weeks ago

Photo: John Force Racing
Leave a comment

Drag racing is a Force family tradition. So, too, is not keeping a Force family member down.

Just 12 days after the most serious wreck of her six-year drag racing career, Brittany Force and John Force Racing announced late Thursday afternoon that the defending 2017 NHRA Top Fuel champion has been medically cleared and will indeed race in this weekend’s NHRA Arizona Nationals at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in suburban Phoenix, Arizona.

“I flew into Phoenix early this (Thursday) morning and headed straight out to the race track to meet up with my team,” Force said. “I suited up and got belted back into my car that I ran all last season.

“It honestly felt good to be strapped back in and I was surprised how comfortable I was. I’m looking forward to getting back in my car tomorrow (Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying) and getting back in the swing of things with my guys.”

The 31-year-old Force, one of four daughters of 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force, suffered a concussion and bruising after the hard crash she was involved in on February 11 in the first round of eliminations of the season-opening NHRA Lucas Oil Winternationals in Pomona, California.

Shortly after leaving the starting line in a race vs. Terry Haddock, Force’s dragster crossed from the right to left lanes, impacted the retaining wall with a very hard lateral crash, bounced off, spun, went on its side and briefly caught fire after crossing the finish line wheels-up.

While she is still recovering from the bruising, Force feels strong enough to get back behind the wheel. Getting back in the race car could be the best medicine of all, since she has three runner-up finishes in Phoenix, including back-to-back second-place showings in both the 2016 and 2017 national events.

The three-day event kicks off Friday with qualifying rounds at 4 and 6:30 p.m. ET, the same times as Saturday’s qualifying. Final eliminations begin at 1 p.m. ET Sunday.