This time, Chevrolet made sure they wouldn’t be surprised on Race Day at the Indianapolis 500.
In 2012, the Bowtie Brigade put eight of its cars in the top nine starting positions at Indy only to see the Honda-powered Target Chip Ganassi Racing duo of Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon finish first and second in the race. But on Sunday, Chevy-powered cars swept the top four spots with winner Tony Kanaan (pictured), runner-up Carlos Munoz, third-place finisher Ryan Hunter-Reay and fourth-place finisher Marco Andretti.
Kanaan’s victory was the first for Chevy at the “500” since Helio Castroneves notched his second win at the Brickyard in 2002, and its eighth “500” triumph overall – a resounding response to Honda’s rally one year ago.
“Tony drove a great race, and the team executed flawlessly,” said Jim Campbell, Chevy’s U.S. vice president of performance vehicles and motorsports. “Their total focus was on driving to the front of the field. Tony and the No. 11 team demonstrated tremendous teamwork, perseverance and a never-give-up-attitude all day.”
“A proud congratulations to Tony Kanaan and the entire Chevrolet-powered KV Racing Technology team for winning the 97th Indy 500,” said Chevy IndyCar manager Chris Berube. “The win was hard fought through a record number of lead changes and clean, close racing. We are so proud of the tireless efforts put in by KV Racing and our technical partners to prepare for the race and executed it so well. On to Detroit where Team Chevy will carry the momentum of this great result to the Dual in Detroit on Belle Isle!”
While Justin Wilson came on late with a fifth-place result, the majority of the Honda camp was never really a factor on Sunday. A stronger effort in the final practice on Friday raised thoughts of their performance last May, but an encore never truly came close to materializing as the Bowtie dominated the proceedings.
Chevy also netted seven of the Top 10 spots at the checkered flag, adding in results for Helio Castroneves in sixth, A.J. Allmendinger in seventh and pole sitter Ed Carpenter in 10th. The Indiana native led a race-high 37 laps but was unable to break through traffic late due to a push condition on his car.
2015 GP3 Series champion Esteban Ocon will race in the DTM championship this year with Mercedes in tandem with a reserve role in Formula 1 at Renault.
Ocon joined Mercedes’ junior program in the spring of 2015 before becoming a fully-fledged member at the end of the year just days before his GP3 title success.
The Frenchman was known to be considering a move into either DTM or GP2 for 2016, but will now replace F1-bound Pascal Wehrlein at Mercedes’ factory team for the new DTM campaign.
“It’s an incredible feeling to be part of such a professional and strong racing series,” Ocon said.
“I’m very pleased to be driving for Mercedes-Benz. It’s the best team in the DTM and I’m very grateful for this fantastic opportunity.
“Mercedes is the most successful manufacturer in DTM history. You can only achieve that with real passion and hard work, and those are characteristics that we share. After driving in free practice during the final race weekend of the 2015 season at Hockenheim, I can’t wait to start a DTM race.
“I obviously have a lot to learn, but my goal – and that of everyone in the team – is to fight for wins as soon as possible.”
Trident has completed its line-up for the 2016 GP2 Series season by signing Indonesian driver Philo Paz Armand.
Armand has previously raced in a number of European Formula Renault 2.0 championships, and most recently took part in half of last year’s Formula Renault 3.5 rounds, scoring one point.
Armand will now step up to GP2 for the 2016 season, racing alongside 2015 GP3 runner-up Luca Ghiotto at Trident.
“We are very excited to start this collaboration with Philo and we are confident he will express all his talent thanks to the team’s help,” Trident team manager Giacomo Ricci said.
The grid for GP2’s support series, GP3, is also beginning to come together for the new season following the announcements of Tatiana Calderon and Honda junior Nirei Fukuzumi.
Calderon moves into GP3 from FIA F3 and will race for Carlin, while Fukuzumi joins ART Grand Prix, continuing the French squad’s association with Honda.
Fiat-Chrysler CEO and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne believes that Italian car manufacturer Alfa Romeo must consider entering Formula 1 with a team in the near future.
Alfa Romeo last raced as a constructor in F1 between 1979 and 1985, but has enjoyed no involvement within the series since 1988 when it supplied engines to the Osella team.
Marchionne believes that a return to F1 would be an effective way for Alfa Romeo to grow as a brand and gain more public awareness.
“In order to restore their name, they must consider returning to Formula 1,” Marchionne told Italian publication La Gazzetta dello Sport.
“Alfa Romeo are capable of making their own chassis, just like they are capable of making their own engine,” he added, before conceding that it could enjoy an engine supply from Ferrari should it wish to enter F1.
Marchionne believes that adding more manufacturers to the F1 grid is key to safeguarding the long-term future of the series.
“In the end this sport must be saved,” Marchionne said.
“The important thing is to make other car manufacturers enter grand prix racing.”
Romain Grosjean has revealed his new-look helmet design ahead of his first Formula 1 season with Haas in 2016.
NASCAR team co-owner Gene Haas won the race to get an F1 team on the grid back in 2014, and has spent the past 18 months meticulously planning its arrival in the sport.
Haas F1 Team’s full debut is now just five weeks away, with the first on-track test of its new car coming on February 22 in Barcelona.
Grosjean walked away from Lotus at the end of last year to join Haas for the new season, where he will race alongside former Ferrari reserve Esteban Gutierrez.
In a post on his Twitter account on Saturday, Grosjean unveiled his new helmet design for the 2016 season, featuring plenty of Haas signage.
Grosjean also revealed earlier this week that he would be racing with a tribute to Jules Bianchi on his helmet, who died at the age of 25 last July.