Mercedes may have locked out the front row for this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix, but the team has come under fire after it was revealed that the team took part in a secret tire test at the Circuit de Catalunya following the Spanish Grand Prix.
In-season testing is banned under the regulations, with teams being given three structured tests in the pre-season to develop their cars. However, Mercedes have appeared to break this rule by running around 1000km at the circuit just outside of Barcelona, and their rivals are thought to be fuming over the matter.
According to Autosport, the team is sure that they have not broken the regulations. Pirelli are reportedly allowed to call upon one team to work with in order to improve the quality of their tires, which, as has been made very clear, have not been up to scratch in 2013.
The sticking point in this case is that Mercedes has been the one team which has really struggled to understand the Pirelli compounds. Despite starting on pole in China, Bahrain and Spain, the German team is yet to win a race in 2013. Therefore, there may be a great outcry should the team have remedied its tire woes in Monaco today, where Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton will start from P1 and P2 respectively.
Autosport also revealed that the matter has been referred to the FIA. Mercedes refused to comment on the matter.
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.
Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.
“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”
Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.
But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.
“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.
Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.
The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.
Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.
It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.
Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.
Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.