Fedex 400 Benefiting Autism Speaks

NASCAR’s Pemberton: Restart penalty for Johnson was “cut and dry”


Despite Jimmie Johnson’s insistence that race leader Juan Pablo Montoya wasn’t going fast enough on the final restart of Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Dover International Speedway, NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said the decision to penalize Johnson for jumping Montoya was a clear one.

“He left early and he didn’t give [the lead] back like we tell them all the time when that type of thing comes up,” Pemberton told the Associated Press following the FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks. “It’s pretty cut and dry. You can look at the films and the restart zone and where the start was.”

As the race leader, Montoya, who was situated on the outside as he and Johnson led the field, has the duty of staying in the lead once the cars hit the restart zone. In addition, NASCAR rules state that the race leader must be the first across the start/finish line on a restart.

However, Johnson got a sizable jump off Montoya and momentarily would not give up the point as he asked NASCAR over his team radio to review the start.

“Please look – I checked up to give him the spot back but he blew it so bad,” Johnson pleaded.

But NASCAR stood firm on their decision and after issuing the black flag for Johnson, he went to the pits to serve a drive-through penalty for the violation.

Instead of a potential win, he wound up 17th after leading 143 of 400 laps. Montoya was unable to hold off Tony Stewart in the final moments and settled for second.

Afterwards, Johnson called the decision a “judgment call” that simply went against him and his No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports team.

“I ran half throttle for the first half a lap waiting for him, then at some point you have to go and you have to race,” Johnson explained. “That is when I got back in the gas and took off. Went so long and I tried to give it back and I was hopeful they would look at the telemetry and see. They have all that ability. I was hopeful they would see I was trying to give them the spot back.

“I didn’t know if [Montoya] broke, I didn’t know if he had contact, spun the tires and hit the outside wall. I have no clue. At some point, I had to go and unfortunately, they called me on it.”

For Montoya’s part, he believed that Johnson was indeed trying to jump the restart – although he also added that he would’ve done the same thing if he were in second.

“When we got to the line, I think [Johnson] wanted to time it and he timed it too well, and he just ‑ you know, he wanted to get the jump on me and he just jumped it too much,” he said. “It’s one of those deals that when you time it too good, it actually hurts you.”

Status targets 2016 GP2 title after GP3 exit

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Sunday 6 September 2015.
Marlon Stockinger (PHL, Status Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C2088
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Status Grand Prix has set its sights on winning the 2016 GP2 Series championship following its decision to close down its GP3 team at the end of the current season.

Earlier this week, GP3 issued a statement confirming its team roster for the next three seasons that featured new entries from DAMS and Virtuosi Racing.

However, both Carlin and Status did not appear on the list, signalling that both had opted to leave GP3 at the end of 2015.

Status first entered GP3 back in 2010, but only set up a GP2 team in 2015 after taking over the old Caterham Racing operation.

This will now become the main focus for the Irish outfit, though, as explained by team boss Teddy Yip Jr. earlier this week.

“Status Grand Prix has not renewed entry into the GP3 Series from 2016 onwards in order to maximize focus on our GP2 campaign,” Yip said.

“Having finished second in the team championship in the inaugural GP3 Series, we have enjoyed six successful years in the category collecting nine race wins, 26 podium finishes and vying for numerous team and driver titles.

“We are very proud to have given opportunities and achieved success with drivers such as Robert Wickens, Antonio Felix da Costa, Alexander Sims and our current GP2 race winner, Richie Stanaway.

“We now look forward to finishing the 2015 GP2 and GP3 seasons on a high before mounting a robust GP2 title campaign in 2016.”

Both GP2 and GP3 return from a one-month break next weekend in support of the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix.

Hakkinen: Verstappen is already “a real pro”

during a media interview at the Shanghai Grand Theatre prior to the 2015 Laureus World Sports Awards on April 15, 2015 in Shanghai, China.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has heaped praise upon Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen, supporting his decision to ignore team orders during last month’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Verstappen only turned 18 on Wednesday, but has already made a big impression on the F1 world during his first 14 races with his aggressive driving style and mature approach to racing.

In Singapore, Verstappen was told by Toro Rosso to let faster teammate Carlos Sainz Jr. go past, but refused to give up his position and eventually beat the Spaniard to finish eighth.

Writing in his Hermes blog, Hakkinen backed Verstappen’s decision to stay ahead and praised the Dutchman for his performances so far this season.

“A driver must be alert and keep track of what is happening around him at all times,” Hakkinen wrote. “That’s what Verstappen is. He does not simply let anyone pass if it’s not for the world championship, but only a few championship points.

“Verstappen is 18 years old, but the guy’s already a real pro. Young people are developing incredibly fast nowadays, and by that I don’t mean just drivers.”

Despite having more than half a season of F1 racing under his belt, Verstappen only gained his road driver’s license on his 18th birthday, having previously been under the age limit to drive a regular car in public.