Ford celebrates milestone 1,000th victory in NASCAR

Leave a comment

64 years after earning its first victory in what is now the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, the Ford Motor Company has 1,000 wins in America’s most popular form of motorsport after Roush Fenway Racing’s Greg Biffle triumphed in today’s Quicken Loans 400 at Michigan International Speedway.

“I am just super excited for Ford,” said Biffle, who has earned 53 wins for Ford in his NASCAR national series career. “…I think I contributed over 50 of those, which is a small number compared to 1,000, but still [I’m] sure excited to [win] No. 1,000.”

The Blue Oval’s milestone includes 900 Ford-branded victories across the Cup Series, the Nationwide Series and the Camping World Truck Series, as well as 100 victories combined from its Lincoln and Mercury brands. The very first NASCAR-sanctioned Cup race was won by Lincoln driver Jim Roper on June 19, 1949 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

One year later, the Ford brand notched its first win at Dayton, Ohio, with “Shirtless” Jimmy Florian at the controls of a flathead Ford that, according to a friend of his, once belonged to the Detroit chief of police. Florian became the first of 124 different drivers that have won at least one race for Ford in NASCAR’s top three categories.

Biffle’s car owner, Jack Roush, leads the Ford camp with 313 victories in 25 years of NASCAR competition – 131 in Sprint Cup, 132 in Nationwide, and 50 in the Trucks. He compared today’s victory with the one his team earned on another special day for Ford, when a young Kurt Busch took the checkered flag at Michigan during the company’s 100th anniversary back in 2003.

“Those are two great milestones that I’ve been honored to be a part of,” said Roush. “As far as the 1,000 wins that Ford has had here in NASCAR, it’s over 50 years, and we’ve been involved just over half of that time, and there have been a lot of great teams and a lot of great drivers that have been part of that, and we’re just glad and honored to be a part of that history.”

A history that, in addition to 1,000 race wins, has also seen 20 manufacturer’s championships and 13 driver’s titles. Indeed, Ford’s NASCAR legacy is one that they can take immense pride in.

“Ford has been an important part of our sport since their first win,” said NASCAR president Mike Helton in a statement. “We congratulate the entire Ford Motor Company and the race teams, past and present, that have contributed in this very significant milestone of their 1,000th win.”

Some more Ford statistics for you:

  • Wins by series: 715 victories in Sprint Cup (615 – Ford, 96 – Mercury, 4 – Lincoln), 200 in Nationwide, 85 in Trucks.
  • All-time winningest driver: Mark Martin, 89 wins – 35 in Cup, 47 in Nationwide, 7 in Trucks.
  • Eight Sprint Cup driver’s titles from Ned Jarrett, David Pearson (2), Bill Elliott, Alan Kulwicki, Dale Jarrett, Matt Kenseth and Kurt Busch.
  • Four Nationwide driver’s titles from Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (2).
  • One Truck driver’s title from Greg Biffle.

Risi Competizione confirms multiple race absence from IMSA

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 GTE will miss several upcoming IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship races, starting at Watkins Glen International next weekend.

The team has plans to return to the GT Le Mans class later this year, but hasn’t said when.

Risi’s absence was first indicated when IMSA released the Watkins Glen entry list earlier this week. It takes the sole Ferrari in class out of it for a handful of races; the pair of Toni Vilander and Giancarlo Fisichella had a best finish of third so far this season.

“Following an extremely challenging first half of 2017, most recently at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, I have decided to withdraw the Risi Competizione race team from part of the 2017 IMSA season in order to consolidate resources and to reflect on future racing programs,” Team Principal Giuseppe Risi said in a release.

Risi’s crash at Le Mans was with a separate 488 GTE chassis, not its full-season one.

But the IMSA full-season one sustained back-to-back hits at Long Beach and Circuit of The Americas. Then, the brand new car took a beating after Matthieu Vaxiviere came over on top of Pierre Kaffer’s No. 82 car going into a chicane on the Mulsanne Straight.

Kaffer was sore but OK and is in Road America this weekend for Pirelli World Challenge GT action, where he competes in the No. 4 Magnus Racing Audi R8 LMS.

Rossi tops opening practice at Road America

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. – Alexander Rossi led the opening 45-minute practice session for this weekend’s KOHLER Grand Prix at Road America, in the No. 98 NAPA Auto Parts/Curb Honda for Andretti-Herta Autosport.

The young American has always liked this track, as this was one of the tracks he had past experience on prior to his debut season in IndyCar.

At the 4.014-mile circuit, Rossi posted a best time of 1:43.3285, clear of three Team Penske Chevrolets of Simon Pagenaud, Will Power and Josef Newgarden. Scott Dixon completed the top five.

“It’s early; it’s a good way to start,” Rossi told IndyCar Radio after the session. “We’ve known we had a fast car. We just haven’t executed. We want our first win under our belt.”

Only the top 10 drivers down to Helio Castroneves in 10th were within one second, at 0.9964 of a second.

Eighth-placed Ryan Hunter-Reay brought out an early end to the session with an off-course excursion, beached at Turn 14. He was OK but the session ended a minute or two early.

Robert Wickens, in his first official Verizon IndyCar Series session filling in for Mikhail Aleshin at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, was 20th at 1:45.6823. That was within a tenth of the returning Esteban Gutierrez at 1:45.6257, for Dale Coyne Racing.

Wickens’ teammate James Hinchcliffe was sixth in this session. Meanwhile Gutierrez’s teammate Ed Jones debuted a new Walter Payton tribute helmet; Payton was Dale Coyne’s former business partner and had his first IndyCar race as co-owner here. The late Chicago Bears running back was, of course, one of the best running backs in NFL history. Jones’ decision to wear a Bears helmet in Elkhart Lake, not far from Green Bay, is a brave one!

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports co-owner Sam Schmidt updated Aleshin’s status when speaking to IndyCar Radio during the session.

“Supposedly, he’s on a flight. He got his visa from Paris. He’s supposed to land in Chicago tonight. We’ll see,” he said.

“Yeah up until yesterday morning we thought Mikhail would come in yesterday, and cruise normal fashion. Then his passport didn’t show up. We didn’t know if a day, two or three days. Called half a dozen guys. It was a bit of a scramble. We already had Robert’s seat, so that was convenient. Who could get here the quickest and get in the car. He hasn’t driven here in 10 years. But he’s getting up to speed quickly.”

Times are below.

Liberty planning evolution, not revolution, with future F1 calendars

Getty Images
Leave a comment

GENEVA, Switzerland – Formula 1 CEO and chairman Chase Carey says that the sport’s owner, Liberty Media, is focusing on evolution instead of revolution when it comes to forming race schedules in the coming years.

Liberty completed its takeover of F1 back in January, with Carey replacing Bernie Ecclestone at the helm of the sport.

Widespread changes have been expected as Liberty looks to increase F1’s footprint and reach in key markets such as the United States, with a number of new races expected as a result.

A first provisional calendar for the 2018 season was published on Monday, featuring the 21 races expected, up one from 2017 after the addition of France and Germany, and the loss of Malaysia.

When asked by NBC Sports if 2019 would be the first F1 calendar that Liberty could put its stamp on, Carey responded by saying he believed it was already clear on the 2018 schedule.

“I think that stamp exists today. I think we’re very proud of the calendar,” Carey said.

“We view this as our calendar. I might expect over time the calendar will evolve a little bit, but most of the races we have are multi-year.

“You’re not going have in any one year, you’re not going to have a dramatic change because most of the agreements are multi-year agreements.

“I think very much this is a calendar we feel good about, and I would say it’s our calendar. It’s not anybody else’s.”

Carey said that a total revamp of the calendar was not realistic given the contracts for races that are already in place, a well as important factors such as the August summer break that gives teams a chance to shut down for a couple of weeks during a busy season.

“There are realities to deals we have in place. Some races are in historical places that are important, and there’s a reason they’re historically there,” Carey said.

“They’re places and races we’re very proud of that want to be in a particular time of the year, and obviously that’s important for us if they’re there. So I think in saying we’re burdened with some construct we inherited, I don’t look at it that way.

“There’s a logic to this calendar. European races are largely clustered in this period from mid May to early September. You’ve got your traditional August break. I think for us, our focus, I said in Montreal, we feeling good about the calendar.

“I think we believe we can continue to improve it, but I think there will be an evolution, not a re-doing. I think our focus is really making the races everything they can be.

“I think this calendar issue probably gets more weight and focus and people try to make more out of it than it is. I think our biggest priority is making these events, we have 21 events we have this year, everything they can and should and we hope they be.”

Alonso, Vandoorne get grid drops in Baku after power unit changes

Getty Images
Leave a comment

McLaren Formula 1 drivers Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne are set to start this weekend’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix from the last row of the grid after the FIA confirmed that both will receive a 15-place drop from their qualifying position.

Alonso and Vandoorne are yet to score a single point through the opening seven races of the season amid ongoing difficulties for engine partner Honda, whose power unit has lacked both performance and reliability so far this season.

Alonso’s struggles continued in practice in Baku on Friday as he was forced to park up at the side of the track during FP2 with an apparent engine issue, adding to McLaren’s ongoing plight.

The Spaniard said in McLaren’s race preview that he expected to take a grid penalty for changing a number of parts on his power unit, with the drop being officially confirmed by the FIA on Friday.

Both Alonso and Vandoorne will take a 15-place grid drop from their final qualifying position on Friday, meaning they are likely to start from the final row of the grid.

The only other driver with a grid penalty in Baku is Carlos Sainz Jr., who will drop three places as punishment for causing a collision at the start of the Canadian Grand Prix two weeks ago.