Michael Andretti hopes to keep Milwaukee “on the map”

2 Comments

Michael Andretti had a lot to be proud of on Saturday, as his Andretti Autosport team scored the win and three Top-5 finishes in the Milwaukee IndyFest and his Andretti Sports Marketing team put on a second successful event at the historic Milwaukee Mile. A glance at the crowd that saw yesterday’s 250-lap race seemed to show that attendance was again in the 25,000 range like it was for last year’s race in Milwaukee.

“I’m excited about how today went obviously with the win, but also with the people that showed up to support the race,” said Andretti, who won five times at the Mile as a driver. “I think it’s a great day. I think a lot of people had a lot of fun out there with the [IndyFest]. Hopefully, we can get this figured out and get this thing to stay on the map.”

Last year, Andretti Sports Marketing announced to the post-race crowd that a second IndyFest would be in the cards. But that didn’t happen this year and Andretti has admitted that his event is going to need more backing.

“In the end, it’s going to come down to sponsorship. We need more,” Andretti said according to the Chicago Tribune. “We can’t lose this race.”

Adding to the uncertainty is reported interest in staging IndyCar events from nearby 1.5-mile oval Chicagoland Speedway and venerable Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. The IZOD IndyCar Series has not raced at the ISC-owned Chicagoland oval since 2010, and Road America hasn’t seen major-league open-wheel racing since 2007.

The good news for Milwaukee race fans is that INDYCAR CEO Jeff Belskus appears to be appreciative of the Andretti group’s efforts to keep racing alive at the Mile, the oldest operating motor speedway in the world.

“We feel we have a lot of good options, and we’re glad to be in that situation and position,” Belskus told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel this past week. “But on the other hand, we recognize the folks that have helped get us to this point, and certainly the Andretti team and this event in Milwaukee have been a very positive part of our schedule.

“It’s good racing here in Milwaukee, and if they continue to make progress, that will be helpful in putting this deal together for a longer-term future.”

McLaren unveils 2018 F1 car, the MCL33

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

McLaren F1 Team became the latest to launch their 2018 challenger on Friday, taking the covers off their new MCL33 chassis early on Friday morning.

McLaren endured a difficult 2017 season of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship, with their partnership with Honda eventually dissolving after a troublesome power unit saw them plagued by unreliability and low power.

A switch to Renault power units is expected to see them get an uptick in form, and the MCL33 chassis itself is actually an evolution on last year’s MCL32. Still, the team highlighted areas to improve upon, and aims for a return to prominence in 2018.

“The McLaren team was created by a brave pioneer, and has had bravery at its core ever since. Whether it’s been with brave drivers, brave leaders or brave fortune, this team has always fought back. And we definitely view 2018 as the year when McLaren will move closer to the front, fighting teams and drivers as we improve our fortunes,” said Zak Brown, executive director of McLaren Technology Group.

Brown also highlighted the car’s new papaya orange livery, a throwback to some of the most popular color schemes that have adorned McLaren entrants in a variety of disciplines. Brown indicated that this came about from requests of fans who wanted to see such a livery return to the McLaren marque.

“Our return to a papaya orange livery for this year wasn’t simply an emotional decision; it demonstrates that we are listening to our fans, building deeper engagement with them and the Formula 1 community as a whole. We want McLaren to earn respect on and off the track, and this felt like a good starting point. We want to show everyone what makes this team special, whether that’s our fans or our partners – there’s room for more on our journey.”

The team’s racing director Eric Boullier expressed optimism about the team’s potential for 2018, but also acknowledged the season will be sure to see its fair share of challenges.

“I think the whole team feels proud of this car,” he asserted. “The design, engineering and aerodynamic departments have done an incredible job delivering a new car with a new power unit in an extremely short timeframe. We never took the easy route or looked to shortcut a process or a solution; and the result is a car that is neat and well-resolved.

“That said, we are under no illusions that it will be difficult to splinter the hegemony at the front; and that the midfield will be full of well-funded, experienced outfits with plenty to prove. We are humble about the challenge ahead, but feel we’ve prepared well, have a solid package that we can build upon and exploit as the season progresses, and have two excellent drivers who will make the difference in races.”

The MCL33 took to the track on Friday for filming at a test track in Spain, and will be run in anger for the first time when testing begins next week at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Follow@KyleMLavigne