After Sonoma win, Truex looks to keep up pace in Kentucky

Leave a comment

After breaking a 218-race winless streak last weekend at Sonoma Raceway, Martin Truex Jr. had what he called “a great week” looking through messages of congratulations and enjoying the victory with team members at the Michael Waltrip Racing shop.

But tonight, the New Jersey native is getting back to business at Kentucky Speedway, hopeful that the positive momentum can continue for him.

“The team has been doing a great job lately,” Truex said on Friday at Kentucky. “Really, we’ve had fast cars all year long and we’ve talked about that a lot. Mile-and-a-halves [tracks] have been good for us, so we’re looking forward to having a great weekend here at Kentucky.

“This has not been one of our best race tracks as far as a mile-and-a-half track goes, but we did have a good run here last year and hoping to build on that and see what we can do this weekend.”

Truex has been a steady performer on 1.5-mile ovals throughout the first half of the season. He’s finished eighth at Las Vegas, second at Texas (led 142 laps), fourth at Kansas (led 46 laps), and ninth at Charlotte. Last year in Kentucky, he qualified toward the front and stayed there, winding up eighth at the checkered flag.

As for why his team has been solid on the intermediate ovals, Truex credits his own knowledge of getting around these types of tracks, as well as the knowledge of his crew chief, Chad Johnston.

“I think Chad really understands what it takes to make cars run fast on those race tracks,” said Truex, who starts 19th in tonight’s Quaker State 400.

“I really enjoy them and I understand what it takes to run fast on them as well. I think at the end of the day, you’re only as good as the car you’re sitting in and Chad has done a really, really good job at giving me the stuff I need to run fast at those places.”

NHRA: John Force-like motor explosions get contagious during Sunday’s Gatornationals

Photo and video courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

John Force is rubbing off on others – but probably not the way they or he would like.

The 16-time NHRA Funny Car champion has had spectacular motor explosions in each of the first three races of the new NHRA season, including during Friday’s qualifying for this weekend’s Gatornationals.

During Sunday’s quarterfinals of eliminations, Force’s teammate (and son-in-law and president of John Force Racing) Robert Hight squared off with fellow Funny Car driver Matt Hagan.

As the duo closed in on the finish line, both cars experienced spectacular motor explosions of their own – virtually side-by-side and nearly at the same time.

Hight’s car was the first to explode, tossing its body high in the air. A split-second later, Hagan’s car exploded, also sending the body flying.

Check out the NHRA video:

Hight wound up losing the race.

Hagan, meanwhile, and his crack pit crew rolled their backup car off the hauler, put in a new motor and went on to race through the semifinals and into the finals, losing to race winner “Fast Jack” Beckman.

“We had a pretty great race day, to be honest,” Hagan said. “I’ve never been to the finals in Gainesville.

“We obviously had a huge blow up in the second round, then to watch these guys pull the other car back out and put it together in the amount of time they had, then turn a win light on against Capps (Don Schumacher Racing teammate Ron Capps in the semifinals), then to be able to go to a final, it was huge and it speaks for itself.”

As for Hight, here’s his take on what happened with the motor explosion:

“I couldn’t see (Hagan) over there and it wasn’t like it was hazing the tires or anything else. As it turns out it wasn’t spinning at all. It kicked two rods out when it blacked the bearings in the crank then it hit the valves and blew up.

“The thing gave me no indication at all before that. What really scared me was once I got it under control and I look over and see his body is off his car. I am thinking ‘Oh man, he got gathered up in me.’ Then I stood up and looked and his injector was sideways so I realized he had an explosion as well. We are just lucky we didn’t get into each other.”

As for the guy who has had so much trouble in the motor department, John Force, he lost in the first round of Sunday’s eliminations to daughter Courtney Force.

John Force planned on shutting the motor off on his car at around the 700-foot mark of the 1,000-foot dragstrip, not wanting to risk another motor explosion – even though it meant a likely loss to his daughter.

Now John Force and his entire four-car team, including Courtney Force, Robert Hight and daughter and Top Fuel driver Brittany Force, will be off for extensive testing to try and determine what’s been causing the motor explosions.

“We have to evaluate it and go test,” Force said. “We’ll figure it out.”

Follow @JerryBonkowski