UPDATE: Sprint Cup race at Kentucky postponed to Sunday

4 Comments

UPDATE: 9:30 p.m. ET — Mother Nature has won tonight at Kentucky Speedway, as rain has forced NASCAR to postpone the Quaker State 400 to Sunday at Noon ET. For fans planning on returning to the track tomorrow, NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello reports that all tickets and parking passes from today will be honored; parking lots will open at 8 a.m. ET and track gates will open at 10 a.m. ET.

Another batch of rain hit the 1.5-mile oval around 8:30 p.m. ET, once again erasing the progress of track-drying teams. When NASCAR asked for an estimate on how long the track-drying process would take, they were told of a possible green flag at 11:30 p.m. ET if the rain would finally stop.

Earlier showers also delayed driver introductions, which were re-set for 7:15 p.m. ET after the original start time for the race (7:45 p.m. ET) had been effectively scratched. It usually takes between 90 minutes and two hours to dry the Kentucky oval.

Last night’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race was affected by rain, which cut the event short at Lap 170 and gave the win to Brad Keselowski. It should also be noted that Kentucky Speedway does not have NASCAR’s new “Air Titan” track-drying system; according to USA Today’s Jeff Gluck, NASCAR requires tracks to pay for its use and Kentucky opted not to do so.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Carl Edwards will be on the front row for tomorrow’s race. Unfortunately, as it was tonight, a 50 percent chance of rain is in the forecast.

Leclerc: No. 16 was third-choice for Formula 1 career

Getty Images
Leave a comment

2018 Formula 1 rookie Charles Leclerc has revealed No. 16 was his third-choice number to use through his grand prix career, with his preferred options having already been taken.

From 2014, drivers were given the chance to pick a number to use through their F1 careers instead of being assigned one depending on their team’s championship position.

Formula 2 champion and Ferrari junior Leclerc was announced in an Alfa Romeo Sauber race seat for 2018 earlier this month, picking No. 16 as his permanent number.

However, the Monegasque racer revealed last week that it was in fact his third choice, with both No. 7 and No. 10 already being taken by Kimi Raikkonen and Pierre Gasly respectively.

“It’s quite simple to be honest: I wanted number 7 first, but Kimi had it,” Leclerc said, as quoted by Crash.net.

“Then I chose 10, but Pierre came to F1 and chose number 10, so then I chose number 16.

“It’s just my date of birth and I could not find anything better. And 1 + 6 = 7, which is my favorite number.”

Leclerc will become the first driver hailing from Monaco to race in F1 since Olivier Beretta, who made nine grand prix starts in 1994 for Larrousse.