Johnson believes Kenseth slowed down on late restart

3 Comments

After failing to secure what had appeared to be a sure victory, Jimmie Johnson said that race winner Matt Kenseth laid back on a late restart with 21 laps to go – a restart that saw Johnson spin out in Turn 2 and lose his opportunity to take the Quaker State 400.

Kenseth used a fuel-only stop on pit road to leap ahead of Johnson, who had taken two tires on his own service. Kenseth and Johnson led the field to the green flag, but Johnson was slow to come up to speed, causing the field to stack up behind him. Then in Turn 2, the five-time Sprint Cup champion lost control of his No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, bringing out the yellow.

Johnson had to re-start 25th after the spin and made up 16 spots in the final 17 laps to finish ninth. Afterwards, he claimed that Kenseth had broken protocol on their restart together.

“The No. 20 [Kenseth] broke the pace car speed, which you aren’t supposed to,” said Johnson, who led 182 of 267 laps. “But they aren’t calling guys on that, so I need to start trying that in the future.”

Kenseth, of course, saw nothing wrong with what he did.

“When the pace car peeled off, I felt like I went the same pace,” Kenseth said according to Bob Pockrass of The Sporting News. “I didn’t check my [tachometer] when the pace car went off and went exactly the same pace but I think you can look at the data and see I didn’t slow down.

“So really at that point, you try to watch the guy inside of you and make sure he doesn’t lay back and try to get a run at you and try to keep him right by my door. When I got in the box, I went. From there, I don’t really know what happened.”

Restarts have become a recurring issue with Johnson ever since he was hit with a restart penalty that cost him a potential win earlier this month at Dover. Two weeks later at Michigan, he was nearly wrecked out of the race on a Lap 81 restart, when he appeared cautious of going before reaching the restart box.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”