Kentucky Update: Red flag out at Lap 49 for multi-car wreck

Leave a comment

After numerous rain showers forced Kentucky Speedway and NASCAR officials to throw in the towel last night, the Quaker State 400 finally got underway this afternoon under partly cloudy skies and in front of a decent but noticeably thinner crowd.

Carl Edwards immediately took the lead from pole sitter Dale Earnhardt Jr. and led all the way up to the Lap 30 competition caution that was announced prior to last night’s rainout. “Cousin Carl” then brought the leaders down pit road for service, but Earnhardt and teammate/Sprint Cup points leader Jimmie Johnson managed to beat Edwards out after they all opted for two-tire stops.

Earnhardt took the Lap 36 restart on the outside lane above Johnson and managed to hold off the five-time Cup champion in a brief battle for the lead. But three laps later, the yellow flew again after a flat tire came apart for Denny Hamlin as he was traveling on the pit access road between Turns 3 and 4. The rubber then went through the grass and hit Earnhardt’s car, then Johnson’s at speed in Turn 4, triggering the race’s second caution period.

Both of them sustained visible front-end damage, but the Hendrick Motorsports duo opted to keep their track positions and led the field back to green at Lap 43. However, almost immediately, Caution No. 3 came along as Kyle Busch spun coming out of Turn 2 while running fifth, causing the field behind him to scatter quickly. Luckily, they were able to evade him and Busch was able to get back going.

Johnson managed to take the lead through all of that and on a Lap 47 restart, he quickly pulled away from Earnhardt, who fell back into the pack. As that was happening, Brad Keselowski (pictured), running 10th at the time, was turned around by Kurt Busch, who was on the tri-oval apron attempting to make the pass. Keselowski then came up the track in Turn 1, where he was hit from behind by an oncoming Greg Biffle. The incident collected seven cars in all and forced the red flag to fly at Lap 49.

“I knew I needed to get to the bottom but my car was a little bit loose getting into [Turn 1] and I just had nowhere to go,” Biffle told TNT afterwards. “I just couldn’t get it turned down to miss [Keselowski].”

TNT later replayed radio transmissions from Kurt Busch, who said the transition from the apron to the banked tri-oval straight caused him to slide into Keselowski, and Jeff Gordon, who called for NASCAR to ban use of the apron.

Keselowski and Travis Kvapil have been checked and released from the infield care center following the wreck.

Honda defends decision to redesign F1 power unit for 2017

McLaren/LAT
Leave a comment

Honda Formula 1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa has defended the decision to redesign its power unit layout for 2017 despite suffering a number of reliability and performance issues at the start of the season.

Entering its third year since returning to F1 as an engine supplier, Honda looked to make gains by revising the layout of its power unit to mirror that of pace-setter Mercedes.

The decision appeared to backfire, though, with a lack of both performance and reliability leaving customer team McLaren frustrated and without a single point after three races.

Speaking in Friday’s FIA press conference in Russia, Hasegawa was asked if the decision to revise the power unit layout was a mistake, and defending the move despite admitting to the ongoing problems.

“I don’t think we made a complete mistake from last year’s performance. We knew that we have to change everything, not only the package but also the combustion, so we tried to modify all areas,” Hasegawa explained.

“Some areas we succeeded, to reduce the weight and lower the center of gravity, but yeah, definitely we couldn’t get enough power from the combustion. So, yeah, it is just an excuse, but we still need time.

“But we don’t think we made a huge mistake, the direction was right. We are very much disappointed with our current situation.

“But because the base concept is correct, we believe we can make good progress in the middle of the season.”

McLaren’s hopes of scoring its first points of the year in Russia took a hit on Friday when Stoffel Vandoorne was forced to take new elements for his power unit, triggering a 15-place grid drop for the race.

More brake issues strike Haas in Russia F1 practice despite supplier change

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Haas Formula 1 team endured another difficult day of practice ahead of the Russian Grand Prix as drivers Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen suffered more brake issues despite changing supplier.

Haas confirmed on Thursday that it would be switching from Brembo to Carbon Industrie brakes, having suffered problems throughout its 14-month stint in F1.

Despite enjoying a positive test in Bahrain with Carbon Industrie parts last week, both Grosjean and Magnussen struggled with their brakes in FP1 and FP2 at the Sochi Autodrom on Friday.

Grosjean finished FP2 14th-fastest, with Magnussen breaking into the top 10, charging to ninth place in the VF-17 car.

“We’ve got very little grip. We’re really struggling with the balance,” Grosjean said. “We had some issues, as well, with the brakes over the long runs. We need to look at what we can do better with them.

“Generally, it’s just been a very difficult Friday. The car didn’t perform well – very low grip on low fuel and high fuel.”

Team principal Guenther Steiner added: “We had a lot to do and I think we did a lot. We still haven’t got all the results yet, as we need to go through data.

“I would say the issues with the brakes were mainly because they’re new to us. We need to find out how they work. Going through the data, we will decide tomorrow what we’re doing and how we continue.

“All in all, we had pretty fruitful sessions. We did a lot of laps and we learned a lot. Now we need to get the best out of what we learned for tomorrow to go into qualifying.”

Qualifying for the Russian Grand Prix is live on CNBC and the NBC Sports app from 8am ET on Saturday.

F1 Paddock Pass: Russian Grand Prix, Friday edition (VIDEO)

Getty Images
Leave a comment

While the drivers may be the stars of Formula 1, their on-track escapades would not be possible without the titanic effort from those behind the scenes at their respective teams, making it key for us to hear from the people who make racing possible from time to time.

Following on from the special Friday edition of NBC Sports’ original digital series ‘Paddock Pass’ in Bahrain, Will Buxton is back with all of the interviews from the team bosses in today’s FIA press conference in Russia.

In part one, we hear from Otmar Szafnauer, COO at Force India, who gives his verdict on the team’s showing in 2017 so far and new driver Esteban Ocon’s start to the season. We also catch up with Renault technical boss Nick Chester and Pirelli’s new F1 chief, Mario Isola.

In part two, Ferrari’s engine boss Luigi Fabroni offers his thoughts on the Italian marque’s strong start to the 2017 season following Sebastian Vettel’s wins in Australia and Bahrain. At the other end of the success spectrum, McLaren’s Matt Morris and Honda’s Yusuke Hasegawa discuss the ongoing rebuilding project at woking.

Vettel refusing to be misled by Mercedes’ F1 practice pace in Russia

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Sebastian Vettel is refusing to read too much into Ferrari’s impressive Formula 1 practice pace in Russia on Friday, saying it is easy to be “misled” by rival team Mercedes.

Vettel arrived in Russia for the fourth round of the season after making the best start to a campaign by a Ferrari driver since Michael Schumacher in 2004, winning two of the first three races.

Vettel continued Ferrari’s impressive showing to start 2017 by dominating second practice on Friday at the Sochi Autodrom, finishing over half a second clear of Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas.

However, Vettel is refusing to take too much from the result, citing Mercedes’ jump in pace from Friday to Saturday in Russia last year as a reason why not to.

“I think Mercedes will be fine. It’s a circuit that suits them, so they will be strong tomorrow,” Vettel said after practice, as quoted by the official F1 website.

“I don’t want to make this personal but I think last year people expected Williams to be the fastest after Friday if I remember right, and obviously it turned out Mercedes were.

“That’s how sometimes you can be misled. I think there are a lot of things we can play with in the car, loads, engines modes. At this track especially there are a lot of things you can show or not show.

“I think the most important [thing] is that we talk about ourselves, our balance, and I think we improved throughout the session so I’m reasonably happy.”

Vettel will be chasing Ferrari’s first pole since the 2015 Singapore Grand Prix on Saturday, with qualifying live on CNBC from 8am ET.