Pirelli will use Kevlar-belted tires in Germany – report

1 Comment

Reports in the British press claim Pirelli will make a significant change in the construction of their tires for this weekend’s race in Germany in a bid to prevent a repeat of the failures seen at Silverstone.

The Daily Telegraph reports Pirelli which switch from its steel-belted tires to ones which use Kevlar. The move comes after five drivers suffered dramatic tire explosions during the British Grand Prix.

The change comes despite three teams – Ferrari, Lotus and Force India – having previously blocked Pirelli from introducing the revised tire constructions. The three teams, who argued the changes to the tires would disadvantage them, have backed down following Sunday’s chaotic race.

Pirelli is set to attend a meeting of the FIA’s Sporting Working Committee tomorrow for further discussions over the problems which almost led to the stoppage of the British Grand Prix.

Formula One is hastily changing its testing rules in order to give Pirelli track time to get to the bottom of the problem. Race drivers will be used instead of junior drivers at next week’s Young Drivers’ Test. Pirelli is to have two further tests with 2013 machinery at Paul Ricard and the Circuit de Catalunya and a further test after the end of the season is being considered.

Marko: Red Bull has been “fooled around”

xxxx during practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 27, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Bull Racing advisor Helmut Marko claims that the team is still yet to formally agree an engine deal for the 2016 Formula 1 season after being “fooled around” by possible partners earlier in the year.

Red Bull expressed a desire to cut ties with current power unit supplier Renault earlier in the year, but looks set to agree a new deal that will see its relationship with the French manufacturer continue into 2016.

Earlier this week, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner claimed that an engine supply had been agreed for next year, but Marko’s most recent comments in an interview with the official F1 website suggest otherwise.

“I tell you: nothing is fixed at this very moment,” Marko said. “A car is nothing without an engine – that is the sad truth, otherwise we would be on the sunny side already!

“But a decision should be made this weekend – either Saturday night or Sunday. That makes still one more day to bargain.

“In this ‘game’, as you call it, we are passengers. We can’t influence what is going on at the moment. With our financial involvement in the sport that is a very dissatisfying situation.”

Marko said that Red Bull’s billionaire owner, Dietrich Mateschitz, had to be very patient because of promises broken by other engine suppliers, hinting at the breakdown in talks with Mercedes.

“He is so patient because we have been fooled around,” Marko said.

“We had deals and promises for engines which in the end didn’t come true.”

Red Bull is known to have thought it had agreed a deal with Mercedes, only for the German marque to reject it on competition grounds.

Ferrari offered Red Bull 2015-spec power units for 2016, and although this was turned down, Toro Rosso is understood to be in line to take these on.

Honda also discussed an engine deal with Red Bull, only for McLaren CEO Ron Dennis to veto any possible supply.

“It was fully supported by Honda that we didn’t have the capacity to engage another team, but someone had to stand up and say ‘this is not going to happen’,” Dennis is quoted as saying by Autosport in Abu Dhabi.

“This wasn’t me countering a desire of Honda, this was me taking responsibility for a decision, which goes with the job.”

Raikkonen: No secret to qualifying charge in Abu Dhabi

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 28:  Kimi Raikkonen of Finland and Ferrari drives during final practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 28, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kimi Raikkonen says that there was no secret behind his late charge to third place in qualifying for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, but remains realistic about his chances in Sunday’s race.

After seeing teammate Sebastian Vettel drop out in Q1, Raikkonen led Ferrari’s charge at the Yas Marina Circuit by finishing third behind the Mercedes duo of Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton.

Raikkonen managed to edge out Force India driver Sergio Perez for P3 with his final lap in Q3, but the Finn said that there was no secret to his late charge.

“No real secret,” Raikkonen said. “Obviously the car has been handling pretty well all weekend.

“The laps haven’t been ideal many times. Even the first run, it was OK the lap, but I knew there was quite a lot of room to improve so I just tried to make one a bit better lap and it was enough.

“Obviously still a bit of a way off from what these guys can do but we did our best today.

“The Mercedes have been very quick today and yesterday, in the lap times they are a bit faster than us, but the race is tomorrow, so let’s see.

“I did my maximum today. Tomorrow is another day, we can only do our best and see where we’ll end up. We’ll try to make a good start and then see how it pans out, going from there and making the right decisions.”

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7am ET on Sunday.

Porsche confirms unchanged line-up for 2016 WEC season

Porsche 919 Hybrid, Porsche Team: Romain Dumas, Neel Jani, Marc Lieb
© Porsche
Leave a comment

Following Audi’s press conference earlier today confirming its plans for the 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship season, Porsche has followed suit by announcing it will be retaining all six of its existing LMP1 drivers for the new campaign.

Porsche enjoyed immense success in 2015 as Mark Webber, Brendon Hartley and Timo Bernhard took the drivers’ championship in dramatic fashion at the 6 Hours of Bahrain, adding to the manufacturers’ title the marque had won three weeks earlier in Shanghai.

The 919 Hybrid LMP1 car took pole position for every race in 2015, and also won Porsche’s first 24 Hours of Le Mans since 1998 with the third entry of Nico Hulkenberg, Nick Tandy and Earl Bamber.

However, Porsche confirmed that it will be only racing with its two regular WEC entries at Le Mans next June, reflecting Audi’s move to help cut costs.

Porsche will once again run the same two line-ups, with Webber, Hartley and Bernhard set to defend their championship together with the no. 1 car. Marc Lieb, Neel Jani and Romain Dumas will team up for a third successive year in the second 919 Hybrid.

“The advice of ‘never change a winning team’ is spot on,” LMP1 vice-president Fritz Enzinger said.

“Both our driver trios didn’t only perform brilliantly on track, but have also been with us since the beginning of the programme and have significantly contributed to the Porsche 919 Hybrid’s development.

“We are very proud of these six top drivers, and very pleased all of them are on board for the 2016 world championship and the Le Mans 24 Hours.”

The decision to not run a third car at Le Mans not only ends Hulkenberg’s already-faint hopes of defending his title, but also will leave Tandy and Bamber looking for drives elsewhere.

It also puts an end to speculation that Juan Pablo Montoya could be set to bid for the Triple Crown and race at Le Mans, having tested with Porsche in Bahrain last week.

GP2: Vandoorne breaks win record, Rossi secures P2 in championship

2015 GP2 Series Round 11.
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Saturday 28 November 2015.
Stoffel Vandoorne (BEL, ART Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _SBL9548
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Stoffel Vandoorne claimed a record-breaking 11th GP2 Series victory in Abu Dhabi on Sunday after seeing off challenges from Pierre Gasly and Raffaele Marciello at the Yas Marina Circuit.

Starting second, Vandoorne made a good start but was unable to pass Gasly on the first lap, forcing him to settle down in P2 for the opening stages of the race.

Vandoorne made his move for the lead on lap four, diving down the inside of Gasly at the turn seven hairpin before establishing an advantage over the field.

Gasly dropped down the order as the option tire runners began to lose grip, prompting an early round of pit stops and allowing Raffaele Marciello to hit the front as the lead driver on primes.

Marciello retained this advantage until stopping at the end of lap 26, but emerged from the pits behind Vandoorne. The Italian was just ahead of Mitch Evans, leaving him to battle for second place in the closing stages against the prime-shod Russian Time racer.

Vandoorne was able to ease home at the front to record his seventh win of the year and 11th in GP2, beating Pastor Maldonado’s existing record of ten to become the most successful driver in the history of the series.

Marciello fended off Evans to finish second by less than one second, while American driver Alexander Rossi closely followed them home in fourth.

The result ensures that Rossi will finish the year as GP2’s vice-champion behind Vandoorne in the final standings.

Tomorrow’s sprint race will see Alex Lynn start from pole position for DAMS after finishing eighth on Saturday. Rio Haryanto will start from P2 by virtue of his seventh-place finish, with Jordan King and Gasly filling the second row of the grid.