After string of 704 starts ends, Bobby Labonte begins new streak Saturday at Daytona

Leave a comment

After seeing his ironman-like streak of 704 consecutive starts snapped when he was left without a ride for this past Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Kentucky, Bobby Labonte starts a new streak in Saturday night’s Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway.

Labonte’s streak, which dated back to the start of the 1993 season – that’s 20 years! – was snapped when AJ Allmendinger replaced him in the No. 47 JTG Daugherty Racing Toyota Camry at Kentucky.

It was Allmendinger’s second appearance for JTGD; he also raced for the team at Michigan in mid-June. Allmendinger is slated to be behind the wheel of the No. 47 for up to five races for the team to give it essentially a second opinion – some might call it a fresh take – on how to improve the team’s cars.

Labonte managed to keep his streak going at Michigan when he jumped into the available seat of James Finch’s No. 51 Chevrolet. But there were no open rides to be had at Kentucky, and Labonte was left on the sidelines as nothing more than a mere spectator. Prior to Kentucky, Labonte had the second-longest streak of consecutive starts among active drivers: Jeff Gordon has 706 now.

After being as high as 14th in the season standings after the first two races of 2013, the 2000 Cup champion has slipped to 30th in the Cup rankings heading into Daytona.

But on the flip side, Daytona has been one of Labonte’s better tracks: he finished 15th there in this year’s season-opening Daytona 15. All told, Labonte’s career scorecard at the 2.5-mile high-banked track includes six top-five and 10 top-10 finishes, along with leading 70 laps over a span of 41 starts there.

His best year at Daytona came in 1998 while driving for Joe Gibbs Racing. He not only won the pole for both Cup races there that season, he also finished second in both races, career bests for the veteran driver from Corpus Christi, Texas.

“It’s great to be back in the No. 47 Scott Products Toyota Camry at Daytona International Speedway after a weekend off,” Labonte said in a statement released by the team. “I am looking forward to racing at Daytona. I know we will not practice a lot. We will probably do a couple shake down runs and that’s all. We will not need much practice.”

Rossi discharged from hospital after motorcross accident

Getty Images
Leave a comment

MotoGP star Valentino Rossi has been discharged from hospital after suffering injuries in a motorcross accident earlier this week.

Nine-time motorcycling world champion Rossi was diagnosed with “mild thoracic and abdominal trauma” after the accident on Thursday morning, resulting in his admission to the Ospedale Infermi in Rimini, Italy.

The hospital noted in a statement that there were “no fractures detected in any part of the body and no serious traumatic pathologies”, with Rossi recovering overnight with pain relief.

On Friday, a further statement was issued confirming that Rossi had been discharged from hospital.

“Valentino Rossi has returned home from the Ospedale Infermi in Rimini, having successfully completed routine diagnostic tests that were scheduled earlier on Friday,” the statement reads.

“With the attending doctors confirming the findings shared in this morning‘s medical bulletin, the nine-time World Champion left the hospital at 5.30pm, accompanied by his staff.

“He will now continue the recovery process at home.”

The Yamaha rider’s next racing engagement comes next weekend with the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello.

Recapping the proper Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel rivalry (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastien Vettel are the two most decorated drivers currently on the Formula 1 grid, with seven World Championships between them (four for Vettel, and three for Hamilton).

However, their paths have rarely crossed on the track, and only in 2010 did both drivers battle each for a World Championship in the same year. They also battled Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber that year, with Vettel emerging on top to claim his first World Championship.

However, the 2017 season sees Hamilton and Vettel in the two best cars on the grid, and they have gone head-to-head multiple times already this year, with each claiming two victories through the first five races. Currently, Vettel leads Hamilton 104-98 in the world championship, and the two men are developing a strong on-track rivalry.

Monaco Grand Prix coverage continues with FP3 and qualifying on Saturday. Full times are linked here.

 

Take a look behind the scenes of Fernando Alonso’s Indy 500 qualifying runs (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

In Friday’s NASCAR AMERICA Motorsports Special on NBCSN, we take you behind the scenes during F1 superstar Fernando Alonso’s qualifying runs for the Indy 500, including when he was on the pole for a brief period. He’ll eventually start fifth. 

Simulator ride tells what Fernando Alonso can expect in Indianapolis 500 (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

On Friday’s NASCAR AMERICA Motorsports Special on NBCSN, Parker Kligerman and his backseat driver, Kyle Petty, took to the iRacing simulator to make a mock run around Indianapolis Motor Speedway in preparation for Sunday’s Indianapolis 500.

They look at the challenges of IMS, as well as the challenges two-time Formula One champion Fernando Alonso will face in the first oval track race in his illustrious career. Alonso is among the favorites in the race and will take the green flag from the middle of Row 2 (fifth position).

Check out the above video.