After string of 704 starts ends, Bobby Labonte begins new streak Saturday at Daytona

Leave a comment

After seeing his ironman-like streak of 704 consecutive starts snapped when he was left without a ride for this past Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Kentucky, Bobby Labonte starts a new streak in Saturday night’s Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway.

Labonte’s streak, which dated back to the start of the 1993 season – that’s 20 years! – was snapped when AJ Allmendinger replaced him in the No. 47 JTG Daugherty Racing Toyota Camry at Kentucky.

It was Allmendinger’s second appearance for JTGD; he also raced for the team at Michigan in mid-June. Allmendinger is slated to be behind the wheel of the No. 47 for up to five races for the team to give it essentially a second opinion – some might call it a fresh take – on how to improve the team’s cars.

Labonte managed to keep his streak going at Michigan when he jumped into the available seat of James Finch’s No. 51 Chevrolet. But there were no open rides to be had at Kentucky, and Labonte was left on the sidelines as nothing more than a mere spectator. Prior to Kentucky, Labonte had the second-longest streak of consecutive starts among active drivers: Jeff Gordon has 706 now.

After being as high as 14th in the season standings after the first two races of 2013, the 2000 Cup champion has slipped to 30th in the Cup rankings heading into Daytona.

But on the flip side, Daytona has been one of Labonte’s better tracks: he finished 15th there in this year’s season-opening Daytona 15. All told, Labonte’s career scorecard at the 2.5-mile high-banked track includes six top-five and 10 top-10 finishes, along with leading 70 laps over a span of 41 starts there.

His best year at Daytona came in 1998 while driving for Joe Gibbs Racing. He not only won the pole for both Cup races there that season, he also finished second in both races, career bests for the veteran driver from Corpus Christi, Texas.

“It’s great to be back in the No. 47 Scott Products Toyota Camry at Daytona International Speedway after a weekend off,” Labonte said in a statement released by the team. “I am looking forward to racing at Daytona. I know we will not practice a lot. We will probably do a couple shake down runs and that’s all. We will not need much practice.”

Ricciardo confident Red Bull hasn’t missed last F1 win chance in 2017

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Bull Formula 1 driver Daniel Ricciardo is confident the team has not missed its last chance to win a race in 2017 after losing out to Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton in Singapore.

Red Bull ran strongly throughout the Singapore race weekend, with Ricciardo boldly stating the team would win after qualifying third for the race.

A wet-dry affair marred by a start-line crash allowed Hamilton to sweep from fifth to first, while Ricciardo was left to settle for P2 for the third straight year in Singapore.

With none of the remaining circuits appearing to suit Red Bull’s RB13 car as well as Singapore, Ferrari and Mercedes are expected to share the spoils through the final six races of the year.

However, Ricciardo is sure that Red Bull will get another opportunity to add to its surprise victory in Baku earlier this season, which came about in surprising circumstances.

“Malaysia, obviously there were a few incidents last year but I think our general pace wasn’t too bad so we might be stronger than we think there,” Ricciardo said, looking ahead to next weekend’s race in Kuala Lumpur.

“Malaysia, Japan and then we’ll see. I think we can be podium cars, probably Malaysia, Japan, Austin.

“We might need some alternate conditions to really give us raw pace to fight for a win.

“I’m not going to sit here and say we’re not going to win one.

“I believe we’ll get at least one chance somewhere.”

F1 teams allowed to use current-year cars for demos from 2018

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Formula 1 teams will be allowed to use their latest-spec cars at demonstrations organized by the sport from 2018, the FIA has confirmed.

F1 hit the streets of London, England ahead of the British Grand Prix in July for a live demonstration that attracted a crowd of over 100,000 fans.

Due to restrictions on the use of current cars outside of official testing and grand prix weekends, all teams were required to appear with older chassis models in London, most coming from 2015, the most recent year allowed to be used freely.

The restrictions meant that Haas, which only became an F1 team in 2016, could not field a car at all in London.

As part of the updated sporting regulations approved by the World Motor Sport Council and issued by the FIA earlier this week, a rule tweak was confirmed to let teams use their current-year cars at “demonstration events organized by the Commercial Rights Holder”.

Teams are still allowed to complete two filming day events with their current cars, with the majority opting to use one prior to pre-season testing to act as a shakedown of their new models.

While no further demonstrations such as the one in London have been confirmed by F1 yet, they are understood to be in the works after the success the July event enjoyed.

Vinales takes Aragon MotoGP pole, Rossi P3 on return

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Maverick Viñales will start Sunday’s MotoGP race at Motorland Aragon from pole position after topping qualifying for Yamaha as teammate Valentino Rossi made a stunning return from injury.

Having broken his leg during a training accident at the end of last month, Rossi was cleared to race this weekend by MotoGP’s medical officials on Thursday, with the nine-time world champion gingerly returning to action in practice.

Rossi battled through to Q2 by finishing final practice 10th-quickest, before then producing a rapid final lap in the session to secure third place on the grid for Sunday’s race.

Teammate Viñales bagged his fifth pole of the season with a best lap of 1:47.635, lapping one-tenth of a second quicker than Ducati’s Jorge Lorenzo. Rossi was a further 0.08 seconds behind in P3.

Cal Crutchlow took fourth for LCR Honda ahead of Marc Marquez, who fell ahead of his final run and was unable to improve his initial lap time in Q2.

Marquez’s chief title rival Andrea Dovizioso will start seventh behind Dani Pedrosa, while Aleix Espargaro, Alvaro Bautista and Andrea Iannone completed the top 10 in qualifying.

McLaren ‘a little behind’ on 2018 F1 car plans after delayed engine call

Getty Images
Leave a comment

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier has conceded the team is “a little behind” in developing its Formula 1 car for next year after only finalizing its 2018 engine plans last week.

McLaren saw its long-running engine saga end in Singapore when it agreed a deal to end its current Honda supply and link up with Renault from the start of next season.

The move is expected to give McLaren a lift in performance and allow it to fight further up the field, but the delay in being finalized has put the team slightly behind schedule in developing its new car.

“We are flat out working on the 2018 car. There are a lot of changes in terms of layout of the engine, so we have to redesign some of the parts we already had in our mind,” Bouller told the official F1 website.

“We are a little behind in terms of decision. I would have loved this decision to have been made a couple of weeks ago.”

McLaren will no longer enjoy exclusive works status in 2018 as it has done with Honda, with Renault also supplying engines to Red Bull and its own factory team.

Boullier remains confident of a strong partnership between McLaren and Renault, though, and is sure it is the best path for the future.

“We are ‘privileged customers’ with Renault. We have the same engine and access to information as Enstone or Red Bull Racing, so this is a real partnership with Renault,” Boullier said.

“We also have the possibility to work with them – to put ideas in the box for the future that might be taken into consideration. That will allow us to influence in the future. But yes, a full works team is different from our situation in 2018.

“But it is like in school: you look at the plusses and the minuses, and looking at all the plusses and minuses we made our decision, which we believe will be the best one for McLaren for at least the next three years.”