Contrasting sessions and feelings for Force India drivers

1 Comment

Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta have come to contrasting conclusions following the two Friday practice sessions at the Nurburgring ahead of the German Grand Prix this Sunday.

Force India have made their best ever start to a Formula One season, currently enjoying a three-race run of double-scores and lying ahead of McLaren in the constructors’ championship. Adrian Sutil showed signs of this impressive pace in FP1 to finish an excellent 4th, and he is impressed by the one-lap pace that the team possesses this weekend.

“It was quite a good day and the car looks competitive with a similar performance level compared to the last few races,” Sutil said in a team statement. “We are back on the soft tires here, which offer good grip but have very high degradation. They are nice to drive and will be a very good qualifying tire, but long runs were quite difficult.

“The medium tire performs well and is very consistent, so there is a good combination for the race.”

In contrast, di Resta said that he did not feel comfortable during practice.

“There’s room to improve the set-up because I’m not feeling as comfortable as I usually do,” di Resta explained. “Tire-wise we’ve done a lot of running across the two compounds to give us enough data to understand the impact of the new rear tires. The two compounds are different extremes so we need to make sure we can get both in the right operating window.”

di Resta’s comments suggest that the inevitable changes caused by the new tires could have hindered his pace, but he will take hope from his last three performances that have seen him charge from the bottom five on the grid to score points. Likewise, Sutil will be keen on impressing in front of his home fans, with this being his first German GP since 2011.

Leclerc: No. 16 was third-choice for Formula 1 career

Getty Images
Leave a comment

2018 Formula 1 rookie Charles Leclerc has revealed No. 16 was his third-choice number to use through his grand prix career, with his preferred options having already been taken.

From 2014, drivers were given the chance to pick a number to use through their F1 careers instead of being assigned one depending on their team’s championship position.

Formula 2 champion and Ferrari junior Leclerc was announced in an Alfa Romeo Sauber race seat for 2018 earlier this month, picking No. 16 as his permanent number.

However, the Monegasque racer revealed last week that it was in fact his third choice, with both No. 7 and No. 10 already being taken by Kimi Raikkonen and Pierre Gasly respectively.

“It’s quite simple to be honest: I wanted number 7 first, but Kimi had it,” Leclerc said, as quoted by Crash.net.

“Then I chose 10, but Pierre came to F1 and chose number 10, so then I chose number 16.

“It’s just my date of birth and I could not find anything better. And 1 + 6 = 7, which is my favorite number.”

Leclerc will become the first driver hailing from Monaco to race in F1 since Olivier Beretta, who made nine grand prix starts in 1994 for Larrousse.