Germany F1 GP Auto Racing

Threat of boycott appears to have diminished

1 Comment

The Formula One paddock was thrown into a state of panic on Friday night after the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association (GPDA) issued a statement claiming that its members would not hesitate to boycott the German Grand Prix if their safety was not guaranteed with the new Pirelli tires.

Following the fiasco that unravelled at the British Grand Prix last weekend, Pirelli acted swiftly to introduce its prototype tire for the race at the Nurburgring, with Paul Hembery explaining in the Friday press conference that over 1000 tires had been produced in just 48 hours. Although this was seeking to remedy the situation, the drivers unsurprisingly had reservations over the new tires, hence why the statement was issued by the GPDA.

Subsequently, the first free practice session began tentatively with all eyes on the Pirelli tires and the entire paddock willing for there not to be any further issues. Thankfully, there were no issues with the tires and all of the teams managed to complete their programmes as per usual.

After FP2, many of the drivers were asked about their thoughts on the new tires, with Sebastian Vettel and Charles Pic both feeling reassured over the changes made. Of course, (without wishing to tempt fate) a failure during FP3 or qualifying tomorrow could once again throw the race into doubt, but following a successful day for the teams and Pirelli, we should expect to see a thrilling grand prix on Sunday.

However, one interesting issue to come out of the boycott threat was those who did not conform with the GPDA. Three drivers who are not members of the association – Valtteri Bottas, Adrian Sutil and Kimi Raikkonen – could have ignored the boycott and continued to race regardless of their colleague’s actions.

Speaking to Autosport, Raikkonen said: “I was once involved in 2005 and funnily enough there were some guys that didn’t stop and they drove, so for sure I will race whatever happens this time.”

Raikkonen was referring to the 2005 United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis where all Michelin-shod cars withdrew after the French tire manufacturer could not ensure that there would not be tire failures. Marc Priestley was a mechanic for McLaren at the time, and he explained on Twitter how he was unsure whether Raikkonen would adhere to the boycott or not:

“When I strapped Kimi into the car that day in Indy, I genuinely had no idea if he’d stop or race, despite firm orders from Ron.”

The Finnish driver went on to lose out to Fernando Alonso in the drivers’ championship, with the race itself seeing just six cars on Bridgestone tires compete and Michael Schumacher lead home a Ferrari 1-2 ahead of Tiago Monteiro for Jordan.

The boycott may be looking less and less likely, but the repercussions could be felt for the rest of the season. The lack of unity and prioritizing of self-interest has helped to cause this situation, and a similar attitude from some of the drivers may not be appreciated by their colleagues.

Ecclestone has ‘no doubts’ Monza will remain on F1 calendar

1 Comment

MILAN (AP) Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Italian Grand Prix in Monza can find the needed cash to stay on the calendar.

Ecclestone tells the Gazzetta dello Sport, “We will find the right solution – I no longer have doubts – to provide a future for the Italian GP.”

No circuit has hosted more F1 racing than Monza, but officials at the track outside Milan have had trouble producing the estimated 25 million euros ($26.6 million) per year that Ecclestone seeks to keep the race in place after the current contract expires next year.

Ecclstone says, “Things have been cleared up and there is only one go between, (Angelo) Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Italian Automobile Club.”

The Italian GP next year is scheduled for Sept. 4.

Alternative engine solution rejected by F1 Commission

Nico Rosberg

Plans to introduce a new alternative, cheaper engine into Formula 1 for 2017 – hypothetically a 2.2-liter V6 similar to what is seen in IndyCar – will at least temporarily go on the backburner.

The F1 Commission has rejected the so called “alternative engine solution,” where several companies submitted proposals to be that alternative supplier.

“The F1 Commission voted not to pursue this option at this stage — however, it may be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group,” the FIA said on Wednesday.

“The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One,” the statement added.

Meanwhile the statement outlined four things the current manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda – would be tasked with improving on the current 1.6-liter formula:

Those are:

  • a guarantee of supply to teams
  • the need to reduce the engines’ cost
  • simplification of the specification
  • “improved noise”

Further meetings between the manufacturers and the governing body are scheduled, including one this weekend at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix season finale.

As F1 heads into the final weekend of the season, political/paddock items such as Red Bull and Toro Rosso’s respective power unit futures, whether Renault’s takeover of Lotus will finally become official and what will happen with Manor’s team leadership stake – this marks Graeme Lowdon and John Booth’s final weekends although ex-McLaren man Dave Ryan has been hired as the team’s new racing director – are among the talking points.

Stoffel Vandoorne’s Super Formula test hampered by engine woes

Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne
1 Comment

You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Dominant GP2 Series champion Stoffel Vandoorne had his first go in a Super Formula car at Suzuka on Wednesday, but the engine woes that have hampered his Formula 1 team’s efforts (McLaren) all season appear to be equal opportunity woes.

Vandoorne only completed a limited day of running due to technical issues; naturally, and in an unfortunate coincidence, the Super Formula cars also have Honda power.

The Belgian is now en route from Japan to Abu Dhabi, where this weekend’s final round of the GP2 season will be held alongside the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

FIA Formula E to remain at Battersea Park following vote

1 Comment

Wandsworth Council’s Community Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee voted seven to four late Tuesday night, in favor of retaining the FIA Formula E event in Battersea Park.

This will see the London ePrix – the season finale for the electric open-wheel championship – continue at the site for at least the next two seasons.

The 2016 race will run July 2-3, to avoid a direct head-to-head clash with the British Grand Prix a week later in Silverstone.

Battersea Park’s race faced local opposition in recent weeks, which put the race under threat.