Helio still atop IndyCar standings as scene shifts to Toronto

Leave a comment

With trouble finding Ryan Hunter-Reay early in the Pocono IndyCar 400, Helio Castroneves had a clear path to increase his lead over the American in the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series championship.

Castroneves ran as high as third this afternoon before falling back to an eventual eighth-place result. But with RHR finishing 20th after getting hit from behind on pit road by an out-of-control Takuma Sato, the Team Penske pilot still built up a 23-point advantage going into next weekend’s doubleheader at the Honda Indy Toronto (Saturday and Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network).

“It’s definitely good to come out of this race building our lead in the championship,” said Castroneves, who had led by nine markers before Sunday’s race. “The team did a fantastic job this weekend. The race was very challenging. For us, as a team, we had to make a lot of decisions during the race.

“Ultimately, the key was saving fuel for a good result, and we’ll take a top-10 finish and move on to Toronto with the good points we earned here.”

Marco Andretti led 88 laps today, but late fuel woes dropped him to 10th at the checkers and kept him from moving closer to teammate Hunter-Reay in the standings. Meanwhile, Pocono winner Scott Dixon is gaining on Andretti (55 points behind Castroneves), jumping three spots in the championship to fourth (65 points behind Castroneves) thanks to his first victory of 2013. James Hinchcliffe dropped to fifth in the table (84 points behind Castroneves) after his Lap 1, Turn 1 crash.

IZOD IndyCar Series Standings
Top 10 – After 11 of 19 races

1. Helio Castroneves, Team Penske/Chevrolet, 356 points
2. Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport/Chevrolet, -23 points
3. Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport/Chevrolet, -55 points
4. Scott Dixon, Target Chip Ganassi Racing/Honda, -65 points
5. James Hinchcliffe, Andretti Autosport/Chevrolet, -84 points
6. Tony Kanaan, KV Racing Technology/Chevrolet, -85 points
7. Simon Pagenaud, Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports/Honda, – 87 points
8. Justin Wilson, Dale Coyne Racing/Honda, -103 points
9. Will Power, Team Penske/Chevrolet, -114 points
10. Takuma Sato, A.J. Foyt Racing/Honda, -115 points

Leclerc: No. 16 was third-choice for Formula 1 career

Getty Images
Leave a comment

2018 Formula 1 rookie Charles Leclerc has revealed No. 16 was his third-choice number to use through his grand prix career, with his preferred options having already been taken.

From 2014, drivers were given the chance to pick a number to use through their F1 careers instead of being assigned one depending on their team’s championship position.

Formula 2 champion and Ferrari junior Leclerc was announced in an Alfa Romeo Sauber race seat for 2018 earlier this month, picking No. 16 as his permanent number.

However, the Monegasque racer revealed last week that it was in fact his third choice, with both No. 7 and No. 10 already being taken by Kimi Raikkonen and Pierre Gasly respectively.

“It’s quite simple to be honest: I wanted number 7 first, but Kimi had it,” Leclerc said, as quoted by Crash.net.

“Then I chose 10, but Pierre came to F1 and chose number 10, so then I chose number 16.

“It’s just my date of birth and I could not find anything better. And 1 + 6 = 7, which is my favorite number.”

Leclerc will become the first driver hailing from Monaco to race in F1 since Olivier Beretta, who made nine grand prix starts in 1994 for Larrousse.