Marco Andretti has maintained his weekend dominance so far in the first half of the Pocono IndyCar 400, but Triple Crown contender Tony Kanaan has been able to stay toward the front of the field as he seeks to continue his quest for a $1 million prize.
Kanaan is currently half a second behind Andretti at Lap 80 of 160, followed by championship leader Helio Castroneves in third, Simon Pagenaud in fourth, and Scott Dixon in fifth.
IndyCar’s first race at the “Tricky Triangle” since 1989 began inauspiciously when front-row starter James Hinchcliffe wiggled in Turn 1, then spun and slammed hard into the wall. The Canadian fan favorite, who won the series’ most race at Iowa Speedway, limped out of his car but after his release from the infield care center, he told ESPN that he had merely banged his knee inside the cockpit.
“The car just snapped loose on me,” said Hinchcliffe. “We went a bit aggressive on setup because we had an understeering car all week, and we didn’t want that in the race – maybe we overstepped it a bit; I’m not quite sure. We’ll have to go back and take a look.
“It’s really unfortunate. It’s a 400-mile race, so to go out on Lap 1 is just devastating.”
Andretti gave up the lead when he pitted under green at Lap 30, but regained it when the rest of the field cycled through their own stops. Ryan Hunter-Reay managed to leapfrog Kanaan for second when they pitted together on Lap 32, making for an Andretti Autosport 1-2 as the focus turned to disposing of lapped traffic.
But Hunter-Reay’s strong run was ended as he pitted along with Andretti on Lap 61. Takuma Sato, coming in from fourth on the track, locked up his tires while trying to slow down and skidded into the back of Hunter-Reay’s No. 1 car.
“Sato just ran into me,” Hunter-Reay spat over his team radio as the yellow flag came out. “What an idiot.”
To his credit, the former Formula One driver admitted fault for the crash, saying he “misjudged” the entrance to pit road.
“I was trying to kill speed but I was in the middle of the corner and I lost the back end and slid into Ryan,” Sato told ESPN.
Shortly after halfway, Hunter-Reay and his machine were spotted rolling out of the Pocono garage and will likely return to the track in an attempt to salvage championship points. But his incident with Sato will still likely impact his bid for a second straight IZOD IndyCar Series title; he had entered the day just nine points off of Castroneves in the standings.
The aftermath of the Chinese Grand Prix has centered around Red Bull Racing and its two drivers, Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen.
While Ricciardo has garnered praise at every turn for a masterful drive from sixth to first in the second half of the race, Verstappen has again come under criticism for overzealous driving in the wake of contact with Scuderia Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.
A recap of the past news week for the FIA Formula 1 World Championship, and the attention both Ricciardo and Verstappen have garnered, is below.
Ricciardo Surfaces as Outside Title Contender After Chinese Grand Prix Win
Prior to the Chinese Grand Prix, few would have labelled Ricciardo as a possible title contender, especially in the wake of a mechanical failure in the opening laps of the Bahrain Grand Prix.
However, Sunday’s victory in China not only provided a number of thrills for onlookers, it also gave Ricciardo a major boost of confidence, and he asserted afterwards that he thinks a championship push is possible.
“I really feel like, I’ve said a few times, just give me the chance to be in a title hunt and I really believe I will take it,” Ricciardo said in a piece posted on Crash.net. “I feel like I can capitalize on opportunities and I guess [China] was a good example even with a fat lip I am still pretty fast and pretty good on a Sunday.”
The victory also comes at an interesting time in Ricciardo’s career, as the 2018 season is the final one in his current contract with the Red Bull team. On the market for a new contract, Ricciardo mentioned that he’s seeking a two-year deal with whichever team he signs with.
“I don’t want to sign anything too long because I don’t know where the sport’s going,” Ricciardo said in an interview with The Times newspaper.
He added, “Ideally, I’d sign a two-year contract. I think two years I can definitely be comfortable with and then see it from there. That third year will be the rule change so I will probably wait and see what happens then.”
Ricciardo also added that whether or not he returns to Red Bull is entirely down to the team’s performance this year.
“I kind of feel like if they want me to race for them they should contact me, but they haven’t,” he said. “If we win this year then I’m staying with Red Bull. It’s pretty simple. It’s really just about performance at the moment.”
Jos Verstappen Offers Constructive Criticism to Max
Max Verstappen has again come under fire for overzealous driving, and not just from rivals this time.
Perhaps most notably, Max’s father Jos Verstappen, a former Formula 1 driver in his own right, offered his thoughts this past weekend, asserting that Max needs to show more patience and a little better judgment in his overtaking moves.
“The overtake on Vettel really wasn’t on. It wasn’t possible. It was an error of judgement. In some circumstances Max just has to think more,” Jos told Ziggo Sport’s Peptalk, referenced in a Crash.net story.
However, Jos also praised his son’s driving style, noting that he hopes that part doesn’t change.
“I don’t want him to change his driving style. He passed two people at the start. He did that perfectly,” he added. “That’s what we all want to see. But we don’t want to see these kinds of actions. He needs to have it under control. He needs to think.”
In addition to receiving a 10-second penalty for the incident, Verstappen also received two penalty points, bringing his total to five. A driver who gets 12 penalty points within a span of 12 months is automatically given a one-race ban.
Rubens Barrichello Recovering from Brain Tumor
Rubens Barrichello has revealed that he was diagnosed with a brain tumor earlier this year after collapsing in the shower.
“Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my head. It seemed to be exploding, I had to fall on the ground and only after a few minutes I managed to reach my wife Silvana to ask for help. I immediately realized that it was a serious problem,” Barrichello said of the ordeal in an emotional interview.
Barrichello, whose health has appeared to improve in recent weeks, revealed that the recovery process has been nothing short of miraculous.
“I feel like a miracle,” he said. “(The doctors) told me that only 14 percent of the people who suffered this type of problem then managed to recover completely.
“I am still going through exams and so on, but I am honestly great and the difficulties in life are the ones who show us how to grow and how to be better.”