Castroneves keeps building on IndyCar title lead

Leave a comment

With the second race of the Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader coming up tomorrow (3 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network), the championship battle between Team Penske’s Helio Castroneves and Andretti Autosport’s Ryan Hunter-Reay can still take some turns this weekend.

But on Saturday, Castroneves definitely came out the better of the two in Race 1 at Exhibition Place as he claimed a sixth-place finish, while Hunter-Reay – last year’s winner at Toronto – finished 18th.

That spells a 39-point lead for Castroneves over Hunter-Reay, who now has to also start thinking about his rival behind him, race winner Scott Dixon. With his second victory in a row, the New Zealander is now third in points and just three markers behind RHR for second in the standings.

Going back to Castroneves, he maintained that he could’ve had a better result if not for a mistake on his part that altered his team’s plans for the rest of the race.

“Unfortunately, [I was told] to come in and I got confused with what car was in front of me – I was coming in and then I decided to bail out,” he explained to NBC Sports Network. “Not good. That changed our pit strategy, but the car was fast. We actually had the fastest lap of the race and showed that we were really, really good.

“Tomorrow, we’re starting third – different things. We feel very strong for tomorrow…Right now, I’m very happy with extending the lead on the championship.”

Meanwhile, Hunter-Reay had a tough afternoon, as he stalled his car twice on pit exits before going into the Turn 3 tire barriers with seven laps left while trying to pass teammate E.J. Viso on the inside. An extended stop in the final laps for a new nosecone also contributed to his poor finish.

“We had two stalls in the pit lane and then were making some moves, making our way up on track, and then racing with E.J. there, I just got held down in the marbles on the inside and collected all that stuff on my tires,” said Hunter-Reay. “I came down into [Turn] 3 and locked up the right side.

“A frustrating afternoon, but I hope we can regroup overnight and improve on the car. I didn’t feel confident at all under braking today and had some issues with it. The four cars, we’ll put our heads together and hopefully come out a better team tomorrow.”

IZOD IndyCar Series – Points Standings
Top 10 – After 12 Races

1. Helio Castroneves, Team Penske/Chevrolet – 384 points
2. Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport/Chevrolet – 345
3. Scott Dixon, Target Chip Ganassi Racing/Honda – 342
4. Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport/Chevrolet – 333
5. Tony Kanaan, KV Racing Technology/Chevrolet – 301
6. James Hinchcliffe, Andretti Autosport/Chevrolet – 296
7. Simon Pagenaud, Schmidt-Hamilton Motorsports/Honda – 291
8. Dario Franchitti, Target Chip Ganassi Racing/Honda – 274
9. Justin Wilson, Dale Coyne Racing/Honda – 272
10. Will Power, Team Penske/Chevrolet – 260

Reaction to INDYCAR/NBC Sports Group announcement: Mario Andretti, Roger Penske, Bobby Rahal and social media

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Like countless others on the East Coast, Mario Andretti was fighting through a snowstorm Wednesday morning.

But emotionally and personally, it was a very bright and sunny day for the legendary Indy car driver.

In an exclusive interview with, Andretti spoke in glowing terms about this morning’s announcement of a multi-year media rights partnership between INDYCAR and NBC Sports Group beginning next year.

“I think this is awesome,” Andretti said. “It’s music to my ears and all of us. NBC has been very familiar with IndyCar racing, so they’re a great partner. I’m elated that it’s all nailed down, secured and I’m looking forward to the future.

“It’s also great for the young lads in Indy Lights coming on, and it’s great for all the sponsors to have that kind of exposure. It’s a good day for INDYCAR today.”

Andretti lauded the fact that all elements of INDYCAR coverage – TV, digital and streaming – will now be under one corporate roof, so to speak.

“Personally, I think it’s huge,” Andretti said. “Everybody is going to be very familiar with everything, the storylines are going to flow perfectly from event to event. There’s nothing like continuity.

“It’s okay sometimes if you have two networks, but to me, the best possible solution is this. That’s why I think this is really a great day for INDYCAR racing to have NBC involved and the continuity is huge for us.”

MORE: NBC Sports Group, INDYCAR partner on new TV and digital rights agreement starting in 2019

MORE: Optimism abounds with new INDYCAR media partnership


Several other high-profile individuals within the IndyCar community also gave their take on Wednesday’s announcement, including statements from team owners Roger Penske and Bobby Rahal.

Roger Penske: “As an industry, we are very fortunate to have the NBC Sports Group grow their presence and coverage of INDYCAR racing and really invest in the future of the sport. We believe there is a great deal of positive momentum in the Verizon IndyCar Series right now, from the development of the new race car, to the very talented group of young drivers and new teams coming into the sport this season.

“With the announcement of the enhanced broadcast partnership with NBC, it certainly adds to the excitement for the future. We know that the ways our fans are watching races and viewing INDYCAR content is rapidly changing, so staying ahead of the curve and the developing technology with our partners is important to the growth of our sport. We look forward to working with the NBC team to continue to build INDYCAR and take the sport in new directions.

“We also need to thank ABC and ESPN for all their terrific coverage over the years. The ABC network helped bring some of the most memorable moments in racing to life – including many of our team’s Indianapolis 500 victories – and we appreciate all of their hard work and passion for INDYCAR racing.”

Bobby Rahal: “It’s great news. I think the fact that the IndyCar Series will be under one roof, so to speak, network-wise can do nothing but great things for our sport. To increase to having eight races on network TV is also great news of course.

“The quality of the NBC broadcasts have gotten better and better over the last several years. They do a great job of providing interesting and entertaining content for the viewers and I think that will only continue to grow with the relationship going forward. That type of storytelling is also what helps bring new fans to the sport.”



Follow @JerryBonkowski