So, Dario Franchitti gets third back, and standing starts set for Sunday

Leave a comment

So, two things have just been announced by INDYCAR in the wake of the finish – and start, for that matter – of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ Honda Indy Toronto race one.

First, Dario Franchitti has been restored to his third place, which had been temporarily taken away after the race for alleged blocking against Will Power, heading into Turn 3 at the Exhibition Place street circuit.

Here is the official statement from INDYCAR, issued nearly a couple hours after the race finish:

After the race, INDYCAR officials met with Dario Franchitti and Target Chip Ganassi Racing team members to further review the blocking penalty issued on the final lap of today’s Honda Indy Toronto. The team presented car data showing steering trace and braking points from the Lap 85 incident with the No. 12 car driven by Will Power. The group also viewed additional video.  Upon further review, INDYCAR has reinstated No. 10 Franchitti to his original third place finishing position.

Franchitti, perhaps justifiably, sounded off during the post-race press conference about the penalty after it was issued.

“The big thing is all this (expletive) at the end, quite honestly,” Franchitti said. “Of all the stuff that went on all day, anybody I raced against would protect the inside, the person trying to pass would go to the outside. I made my intentions clear very early.”

He later added he and the team planned to protest.

“It will be very interesting to know how they make decisions up there sometimes. I think it involves a dice and a blindfold,” he deadpanned.

Meanwhile, the aborted standing start that was supposed to take place today has in fact, been reinstituted for tomorrow. If there aren’t further stalls, that is.

“The fans deserve to see a standing start, so after consultation with the promoter, we have made the decision to implement a standing start for Sunday’s race,” Brian Barnhart, senior vice president of operations, INDYCAR, said in a series release.

8:45 p.m. ET:  And, we have an update from Franchitti directly. He’s voiced his thanks for the result reversal on Twitter.

Newgarden fastest as Castroneves returns in weather-shortened Barber test

Photo: IndyCar
1 Comment

The Verizon IndyCar Series took to Barber Motorsports Park on Tuesday for an open test, with 24 entries tackling the 2.38-mile road course.

Weather intervened in the afternoon, preventing nearly the entire field from going out, but the weather held off during the morning enough for one session to be run in its entirety.

Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden led the way, with a quick lap of 1:07.979, ahead of Team Penske teammates Will Power and Helio Castroneves. For Castroneves, this marked his first IndyCar outing of 2018.

Helio Castroneves was back in an IndyCar on Tuesday at Barber Motorsports Park. Photo: IndyCar

Sporting the Pennzoil “yellow submarine” paint scheme, Castroneves turned 41 laps around Barber in the morning session, with a quick lap of 1:08.315. He was also the only driver to venture out on track in the afternoon, completing eight laps.

The Dale Coyne Racing duo of Sebastien Bourdais and Zachary Claman De Melo completed the top five.

Results are below.